Painter Rates

divadsnilloc

I have been quoted €150 per day by an individual doing a private domestic painting job. This seems a bit high. Anybody think the same?

Dave

I think that is very reasonable aswell.
Our painter charges the about the same and is worth every penny.
If he is good at what he does he'll get through loads in a day, way more than an amateur would.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. It's just that he said it would take 5 days to complete 4 rooms whilst I think it shouldn't take more than 3

In fairness Dave if ye want good advice then ye need to post full details. At first you asked if a daily rate was reasonable, now you're saying that it's not the daily rate but the fact it takes 5 days where you think it should take 3 but you fail to say how big the rooms are or how many coats are needed or what state they are in. All I can say is the daily rate is very reasonable and like mro we got a professional to paint a lot of rooms in our house and it was money well spent.

Depends what he is doing in the rooms is it just the walls? Or is it also the ceilings and woodwork?

I would say 5 days to do 4 rooms, walls only, maybe a little long but it does depend on the size of the rooms and if he has to move stuff around etc...

We got quoted 400 for hall, stairs and landing; and 650 for the outside of the house (Front of house/all sills and window surrounds/front wall). That is labour only - we're paying for paint ourselves.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

I just got quoted EUR250 per day

25 man days too !!

I think I can get this cheaper.

Depends what he is doing in the rooms is it just the walls? Or is it also the ceilings and woodwork?

I would say 5 days to do 4 rooms, walls only, maybe a little long but it does depend on the size of the rooms and if he has to move stuff around etc...

It would also depend on the state of the plasterwork both ceiling and walls.

If you are just touching up walls then you would do it very fast but if you are doing rooms that need to be sanded and filled totally it is a very different story.

I also think €150 is a good price for a real painter.

Most of the real painters I use and know charge €200 per day

I also think €150 is a good price for a real painter.

Most of the real painters I use and know charge €200 per day

I think the key is whether it is a professional painter. I had a Polish guy help me last summer to paint a rental house and while he was a great (and cheap) worker, the finish was not great (I was expecting this - I just needed to get it done fast!)

My sister, by contrast, had a professional painter to paint the downstairs of her house and he did a lovely job. I always thought I was a good painter myself until I saw the job she got done - the finish was so good. He wasn't dear either but he charged by the job, not by the day.

I think the thing to do is to get a good recommendation from someone who has used the painter. Personally I'd be a bit wary of a per day quotation - a professional painter will know how long a jopb will take and price accordingly. Someone quoting per day could stretch it out maybe?? (or is that just my bad mind???)

I have been quoted €150 per day by an individual doing a private domestic painting job. This seems a bit high. Anybody think the same?

Dave
He needs to pay tax,insurance,prsi etc.If he is recommended then I would grab him,I have a painter's number who came recommended to me if you want, Dublin

there was a post not too dissimilar to this one re kitchen fitting posted by Caveat a week or so ago , many of the same arguements about pay PRSI etc and i think really the underlying trend is that, there are now very good tradesmen out there that once were self employed , who now, dont qualify for any social welfare payments are working for whatever they can get. The best and only way forward is to get someone who comes recommended, having said that i think the onus is also on the client to be fair and pay an honest rate for an honest days work.

Ask rate more than ten expert. Find the average value. the value would be a reasonable value. By the way these rates are vary by place so the location is the other important factor.

My sister, by contrast, had a professional painter to paint the downstairs of her house and he did a lovely job. I always thought I was a good painter myself until I saw the job she got done - the finish was so good. He wasn't dear either but he charged by the job, not by the day.

I think the thing to do is to get a good recommendation from someone who has used the painter. Personally I'd be a bit wary of a per day quotation - a professional painter will know how long a jopb will take and price accordingly. Someone quoting per day could stretch it out maybe?? (or is that just my bad mind???)

The big one as you say is to get recommendations from people who have used the painter or indeed any trade you get into your house.

I'm well able to shove paint onto a wall but I'm not able to get it on as well as a real painter can.

And as you say it's best to get a price for the job as compared to a day rate not just because of fear that a painter will drag it out but because very few guys (or gals) work at their best when the punter is looking at their watch all the time.

Someone quoting per day could stretch it out maybe?? (or is that just my bad mind???)

It's your bad mind:D.

I don't know any tradesmen who mess like this all of them want the job don't and out AFAP (As Fast As Possible)

Hi there,

We got some foreign guys in about two years ago to paint our home. They charged us €100 a day which we felt was very reasonable at the time. However within a few weeks we found that we started noticing a lot of problems and areas that were not finished properly. Bottom line if you want a decent job done then I would pay the bit extra. We went for a guy again within 6 months who charged more but in the long run the job was finished perfectly and we have not needed to do anything since. Also he left all the spare paint on the job so if the kids put marker etc on the wall we could touch it up ourselves easily. I can pass on his number to you if you would like as I have reccomended him many times and I think in these economic times there will be a lot of cowboys out there.

Hi guys - hubby is painter so just thought I'd pass on a few pointers to you. Some are a bit basic but best be sure I reckon. Hubby spends a lot of time redoing work that has already supposedly been done by someone else. It can be more difficult to undo and redo than do properly in the first place.

Always use someone that's recommended - see their work if you can
If you can't see their work, ask for refs. And check them. This is very important especially if you are leaving them in the house alone or maybe giving them your key and alarm code.
wouldn't recommend daily rate at all - try and get an inclusive rate for labaour and materials (unless you're supplying the materials of course).
Get your price in writing. Can't emplasise this enough.
If painter quotes an amount for materials and you think it's excessive, ask for receipts.?
Check will "repairs" such as cracks be addressed as part of the job.? Don't assume they will be. Most decent painters will do it automatically.
Will curtain poles, picture hooks, air vents etc be removed before the job and replaced afterwards.?
How many coats of paint will be applied?
Specify the finish you'd like on woodwork - gloss or satin finish?
If it's new plasterwork, will the area be treated prior to painting?
If it's a big painting job, look at your schedule and tell the painter what order you'd like the rooms painted in.
For outside work - ask what preparation will be done and what treatments will be used.
Also for outdoor work, ensure that you or painter asks neighbours to move cars, garden furniture etc if required.

Hope this hasn't been a bit playschool - it's just common sense really. I'd hate to see anyone getting ripped off.

Back