no more nails to hang picture?

Nope, block wall. I did get the impression the plaster was poorly applied so this might have been the cause but that said I was much happier after with the drill approach (cleaner and sturdier finish).

As an alternative to the various methods mentioned here, how about Command Strips by 3M? (more info here )

I used the "sawtooth" picture hangers to hang a large, wooden-framed picture. It hasn't fallen down yet! These strips have the added advantage of not damaging the walls when removed. I have successfully used various hooks around the house, and never had a problem removing the strips.

Not affiliated with this company, by the way - just a devoted fan!

I know somebody who just bougght a house that was full of pictures fixed to the wall with NoMoreNails,he literally has holes all over the wall where the stuff pulled the plaster away with it.
I wouldntuse it for sticking up pictures unless you never intend to remove them!

As an alternative to the various methods mentioned here, how about Command Strips by 3M? (more info here )

I used the "sawtooth" picture hangers to hang a large, wooden-framed picture. It hasn't fallen down yet! These strips have the added advantage of not damaging the walls when removed. I have successfully used various hooks around the house, and never had a problem removing the strips.

Not affiliated with this company, by the way - just a devoted fan!
as i said i have some wary of hanging picture with. And they give weight but how do you weigh a pic. none i have make any impression on bathroom scales, not digital only a cheap one

these plastic hooks can be found on ebay - 25 for £1.75 plus postage. i find them great and they do minimum damage to walls if you change your mind and want to move pictures about. i think these particular ones on ebay hold a weight of up to 6kg.

as i said i have some wary of hanging picture with. And they give weight but how do you weigh a pic. none i have make any impression on bathroom scales, not digital only a cheap one

Try a kitchen scales. I didn't weigh the picture I mentioned, but there is some weight in it as it is a fairly solid wooden frame. I used a few hooks, just to be sure. I think each one is capable of holding 2kg.

Have you seen the pictures and prints that are set in a light wooden frame with no glass? Are they canvas or what are they? Would they look as good as the frame with glass?

im with iggy on this, drill-plug-screw, those plastic tabs with the pins in them dont work if the plaster isn't sound.

We use the hooks with pins to hang all picturesin our house and have even used the larger size to hang a mirror from. Size of mirror was approx 24" x 18" with wooden frame. I remove the hooks every time I put a coat of emulsion on the walls and just put them back in the same place. No problem up to now after about 12 years.

Is it safe to use this stuff to hang picture hooks or will it come crashing down? Don't fancy drilling masonary wall.

This post reminded me of an experience I had only a few short years ago. A guy came to give me a quote for pvc fascias and gutters (supply and fitting). Fairly standard two storey house. When I got into the detail of it with him, he told me that he wasn't going to use any nails or screws. He was going to do the whole job with No More Nails!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

He didn't get the job!

Doutcha, Determined Boy!

I hung a 2 foot towel rail in our en suite with it and....you've guessed it.... big mistake! :eek:

In my defence, it was before I met the genius who was going to do my fascias and soffits! ;)

Ive used No more nails to put up a large breakfast counter onto to partition wall..it worked,it has legs on it for extra support and brackets underneath,but it worked really well..however I tried to put up a shelf with no more nails,onto a concrete wall and had to put a support on it for 24 hours for it to stick to the wall..

I used these and it ended up taking chips out of the plaster on the wall! Might say more for the plaster work than the hooks but I ended up going with the drill!

I tried to hang pictures using these pins and I made a mess of the wall trying to hammer them in. Maybe they are only for plasterboard walls because it ruined my plaster.

So the best way to hang a picture is using a protruding screw?

what do you think of the hooks with pins to nail on to wall?

I used those before and had no problems. The small nails hook into the wall at an angle downwards providing plenty of support. When I got tired of having a picture on the wall there I simply pulled the hook out in an upwards direction at the angle it had entered and was left with small holes which I plastered over. I painted the wall in that room and you would never know it had ever been there.

Back