Employing nanny in own home - advice needed

Babby

Hi

I am looking to employ a nanny in out home for a year as I am returning to work.

I am going through an agency so it is working out quite expensive - the agency says the nanny would expect 520/ week after tax ( the hours are long ) could someone give me an idea of what that would be pretax assuming she has standard allowances as I want to offer her a gross salary - from the calculators online his works out out at about 34,000? Before I add my employer prsi liability

I understand I will have to pay employer prsi etc and make return to revenue - is this easy to do myself or would it be easier to have an accountant / payroll do it - any idea what that cost would be? Or is their a internet app I can use

I will also have to take out insurance for my home - what should this cover

Also I currently rent my home - am I under any obligation to inform my landlady - is that necessary for insurance etc

For those of you who have a nanny in their home i would appreciate any feedback on how it is working out for you - we just have one child but myself and my husband work very long hours

Thanks for the advice

Re your insurance matters. As you don't own the house, you can only take out contents cover. So what contents do you have? Your contents cover will cover your liability to domestic employees.

No your landlord wouldnt have to know about the nanny for insurance purposes as her interest is only as property owner.

Thanks

Do I need to tell my landlady at all then?

We don't have very much contents of value so I assume a standard home contents insurance would cover?

Thanks

Have you posted in rollercoaster.ie, theyve a childcare forum. Perhaps schooldays.ie might be of some assistance also.

Employing Nanny in own home

Hi there
We employ a childminder to look after our children in the afternoons in our own home. The going rate in Dublin appears to be 10e/hour. I looked into buying payroll software but a friend recommended an accountant that does a monthly payslip for me for 10e/month, which works out cheaper and means that I don't have to worry about it. I had looked into it and found it quite confusing trying to work out the USC, paye and PRSI. I do the PRSI return online monthly to revenue.

We interviewed a few people and quite a few didn't want to pay tax, they expected to be paid cash. We weren't comfortable with that, but its something that you should be aware of if you are interviewing people. If you are going through an agency, you won't have that problem.

Hope this helps.

Schooldays.ie

Hi there
I forgot to mention that the childminding forum on schooldays.ie is very active and has good information on it.

Back