Size of Joists?

johneym

Hello Folks,

I am renovating an old bungalow and will be putting in floor joists on the ground floor. The height I need is 4" but what thickness is best and what distance centers? They will be laid on a solid concrete floor.

Its the old style high ceiling and I will be putting in a lowered ceiling at 8' foot height. The ceiling joists will be attached to the external walls. Again, whats the best width and thickness to use? In one section of the attic I will be making storage space as there is enough head height, so the joists there need to support this.

Many Thanks,

John

As far as the ground floor is concerned, given that the joists will be supported by the concrete subfloor, then you don't need major timber in there. Id have thought that 3" X 2" timbers would be OK.
As far as the ceiling is concerned, are you lowering the ceiling to give more headroom in the room above, i.e. will the new joists be supporting the bedroom floor? Assuming that they are then 4" x2" should be adequate. If they are only there to fix a plasterboard ceiling to then 3" x 2" should be OK.

Personally, if I were doing the job at my house I would use 4" x 2" timbers again just in case I wanted to use the floor above as storage in the future

Our ceiling/attic joists were done with 7 x 2 and cross braced every meter as the builder felt that 4 x 2 wasnt up to any load bearing weight that would be placed on the attic floor above.

Is there any way to post pictures or attach pictures with my post?
Then I can show you the install at various stages of the build.

As far as the ground floor is concerned, given that the joists will be supported by the concrete subfloor, then you don't need major timber in there. Id have thought that 3" X 2" timbers would be OK.
As far as the ceiling is concerned, are you lowering the ceiling to give more headroom in the room above, i.e. will the new joists be supporting the bedroom floor? Assuming that they are then 4" x2" should be adequate. If they are only there to fix a plasterboard ceiling to then 3" x 2" should be OK.

Personally, if I were doing the job at my house I would use 4" x 2" timbers again just in case I wanted to use the floor above as storage in the future

Four by two to support a bedroom floor?
In the absence of any details of span and loading this is not good advice, perhaps even dangerous advice.

Re the ground floor, this design will need to be ventilated

You can host the pictures on a service such as Flikr or Picasa and post a link. AAM doesn't support uploading images directly.

Shame,would be alot handier,but sure its not the end of the world.:)
Thanks.

Back