Thinking of buying a boat.

josoap

Gettilng near retiring and dreaming of buying a boat. Not a sailboat, but a cruiser or something like that. Have checked for sale ads and some lovely boats and quite affordable.
Does anyone have any advice on a first time buyer. Also would love advice on charges for docking when not using a boat if that is the correct term. Think I would prefer rivers than sea. Are the lessons available also.

Education.

If you're going to shell out thousands on a boat and use it in close promximity to other boats, you need to know how to use it, what your rights & obligations are, blah, blah, blah.

I fully appreciate that Tarfhead. Do you know how I go about doing that.

Most sailing clubs, both coastal & inland, would run courses, or could advise where to locate such a course. And becoming a member of same would get you into a community of like-minded folks.

Lots out there, eg http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/1290482

Important points: More important than age is the condition hull, engine(s), through hull stopcocks & pipes, electrics. The list can go on. If are going for the second hand market with no experience you really should have someone experienced (eg marine surveyor/boat builder) look over the boat before parting with cash. I would also checkout the insurance costs, they may want a surveyor report anyway.

Thank guys for advice. Would definitely get boat checked before buing and will now start looking at sailing clubs inland. Had checked out donedeal.ie thats where I got an idea of cost. No speed boats for me, just something nice and quiet. I suppose the thought/dream may now happen. Will do plenty of checking. Great quick replies. Love this site

Join a sailing club - Clontarf run a very reasonably priced course and that will teach you the basics and give you a chance to sail with more experienced people. They would also be able to assist with what boat would be suitable for your needs.

But are the lessons just for sailing boats, I am looking at some sort of cruiser.

I'd say the Shannon's your best bet then...there seem to be plenty of clubs up and down the river.

There are plenty of courses. As a cruiser has an engine only, you should do a power boat course. I recommend power boat 1 & 2. This gives you a chance to get used of the engines. It also teaches you basic navigation. I would also recommend that you do a radio VHF course. There are losts of boats avaible in the current financial environment. Boats require alot of maintance so get plenty of advice before purchase. You can rent a boat for a while to get a feel for the type of boat you would like. Don't forget that you have to pay mooring fees anually which is based on the lenght of the boat. Where in the county are you.

I Live in north Dublin. thank you all for feedback. Had been thinking of this, with no idea how to proceed. but Feedback has been so helpful Will check out Clontarf for courses. That would suit well. Will not go into this blindfolded. Thanks Dogfish, Pat Bateman, Shopgir, Towger, and Tarfhead.

Clontarf Yacht & Boat Club do the courses i mentioned and a lot more. A good place to start.

Try Apollo Duck website for boats for sale.(apolloduck.ie)
Go to website of the Inland Waterways of Ireland(IWAI.IE)
you will get comprehensive info there on all aspects of boating
on the inland waterways.
As other replies have advised get a survey done you will need
it for insurance purposes and peace of mind.
There are marinas all the on all waterways for mooring boats cost depends on length of boat.Public berthing is free of charge
for overnight stops.

Good luck with your search.

Sorry if this seems obvious, but you have hired a boat a couple of times, maybe more, on an inland waterway and enjoyed it? Is this the reason for your enquiry?

If not, go for a weekend on one and see if the lifestyle suits. Boat owners on the rivers are friendly, and would happily give you advice on starting out.

(No affiliation to boat hire companies!)

Power boat course for defo. You will be surprised at the little things they show you that are helpful.

Practice and courtesy after that and you will enjoy. Just put the boat somewhere near so you will use it often.

Buy a powerboating for dummies book. no joke, they're good books.

My brother-in-law bought his in England. He sails on the canal and the Shannon. I think Athlone would be a good place to go down and chat to the boat-owners. At the week-end as most of them go down then.

Guys, so glad to get more feedback. I actually two websites, malahide and clontarf. Left messages with my details and did not get a reply from either number. Not giving up. A friend is going to try and get me on a cruiser, just for the experience, but I am more determined to follow thro on this. Really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

Back