Am I correct in that UK magazines have a fixed price in all shops?

NOAH

I was under the impression that when one bought a UK magazine the price was arrived at by use of a ready reckoner to allow for exchnage rate and the various taxes that are added here by our Government so that the price would always be the same regardless of which shop you went to.

However I went to a shop today and the prices were way off beam, one mag was 69cent dearer and the other was 90 cent. When I discovered my mistake I took them back and got a refund. I more disappointed that anything else as this was a supposedly reputable outlet , rhymes with news.

Who can I complain to as these magazines are dear enough as it is without more been added?

noah

shops are free to charge what they want even if a euro price is displayed.

Easons are the main distributors of magazines here and they will give a rrp to newsagents.

the calculation from sterling to euro is based on the following

uk cover price + 10% distribution charge
x current 6 month set exchange rate of 1.18
+ 13.5% vat

So for every £1 uk cover price, the euro price will be €1.48 incl. VAT (No vat on mags in UK)

£2 = €2.96
£3 = €4.44
£3.90 = €5.77

Though I do know of a newsagent in Monasterevin that adds their own extra 10% to EVERY magazine, even the Irish ones - needless to say, I don't buy anything there!

"one mag was 69cent dearer and the other was 90 cent"

Human error may be a factor here, as all mags are converted using the ready reckoner and a price gun. An eye may stray onto the wrong line or similar

thanks for that post Mccaul...that explains why my £3.90 costs almost €5.85.

so its not really a rip-off at all. I don't feel so bad now :)

thanks for replies. Its nice to know why prices are so high. When I got the refund they gave me back more!! Apparently they are known locally for having high mag prices.

gb--

the calculation from sterling to euro is based on the following

uk cover price + 10% distribution charge
x current 6 month set exchange rate of 1.18
+ 13.5% vat

So for every £1 uk cover price, the euro price will be €1.48 incl. VAT (No vat on mags in UK)

£2 = €2.96
£3 = €4.44
£3.90 = €5.77

That 10% extra for distribution in Irl seems high????

Last month, I bought Red magazine for €4.88 in Dunnes Stores, Easons were charging €5.40 for it.

Its not just UK magazines / papers. The Irish Independent is €1.80 here but it is only £1 in Northern Ireland.

Back