Where in Clare?

Have to move to Shannon for work in the New Year. Planning to buy a house when we arrive (we being husband wife and 3 young children). I don't know the county at all and would appreciate some hints as to where a young(ish) married couple and 3 kids would like to live. Close proximity to the motorway to Shannon, shopping centre, and most importantly good schools are our main requirements.

I'm living in limerick 10 years and have yet to meet someone from Shannon. I know two who live there but not natives.

Limerick city is very near as is Ennis. My friend lives in Sixmilebridge, she has 2 young kids and her husband works in Shannon and she works in Limerick. Cratloe is nice and scenic but house prices were expensive back in the day.

The last two would be my choice.

Would you not rent for a while when you arrive and get feel for the place before plunging into buying a house without having lived there?

Yes I agree with the above poster I would rent for a while. Having lived in Ennis for a few years myself I can certainly recommend it - its a great town and its not that far to drive now to Shannon from there.

Thanks for replies

Many thanks for the above replies. We are going to rent for the first few months but my wife is keen to buy as soon as we get settled as the kids are moving schools from Dublin to Clare and we don't want to have to move them to another school next September too.

I'll look at property webpages for Ennis, Cratloe etc and see what we think. If anyone else can suggest someplace else we'd be delighted.

Have a look at secondary schools- there are some very good ones in Limerick and some fairly poor ones in some of the satellite towns. That might be a deciding factor.

Ennis is a good bet and good schools, have a look at shanaway road, near woodstock golf club, close to by pass, shannon about 20 mins. look here

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Garran-Na-Coille-Shanaway-Road-Ennis-Co-Clare/164396/

or ballyalla lake area on other side of town, near barefield and the motorway. Unless you like the countryside I would not go near local villages, a roads are a nightmare.

good luck and welcome to clare and remember with the new motorway you are only 2 hours from dublin

noah

Back