GSOC bugging, Cui bono?

ajapale

GSOC bugging, Cui bono?

There is much speculation about AGS and GSOC but could there be other players who benefit from the GSOC affair?

Foreign Intellegence Agencies?
Global Media Concerns with a history of hacking/survelience in the UK?
Home grown subversives?
Irish Military Intellegence?

aj

I find it intriguing that Sinn Fein are calling for an independent inquiry into possible GSOC bugging when it is their members or former members that have been arrested on suspicion of attempting to bug Garda HQ in Harcourt St. But then hypocrisy is nothing new to SF.

I find it intriguing that Sinn Fein are calling for an independent inquiry into possible GSOC bugging when it is their members or former members that have been arrested on suspicion of attempting to bug Garda HQ in Harcourt St. But then hypocrisy is nothing new to SF.

Or to FF.....the amount of noise that Niall Collins is making about this episode, talking about the threat to National Security when it was his party that introduced phone taps to this country, makes me both sick and angry!

But if Labour or FG were in opposition right now, they'd both be shouting for independent enquiries also. So to sum it up...they're all a joke, who run with the fox and hunt with the hound depending on where they find themselves in any general election cycle

Last edited:
Sharr neow, tis d'illumanahi, I'm blue in da face fowm telling people in de teown abowh-hit, neuw wald owdar so ih-his

(If that didnt make sense, read back in Jim Corr's Dundalk accent)

Or to FF.....the amount of noise that Niall Collins is making about this episode, talking about the threat to National Security when it was his party that introduced phone taps to this country, makes me both sick and angry!

But if Labour or FG were in opposition right now, they'd both be shouting for independent enquiries also. So to sum it up...they're all a joke, who run with the fox and hunt with the hound depending on where they find themselves in any general election cycle

I could not agree more. How do Niall Collins and the other FF frontline spokesmen sleep?

I also feel very angry when I hear him speak about this. :mad: The bugging of Geraldine Kennedy's and Bruce Arnold's phones seems to be long forgotten by FF.

And have they forgotten that it ultimately led to the end of Charlie's political career? (Nighthawks)

And, Delboy, you are soooooooooooo right in the second part of your post also. Maybe you should have said run with the rabbit and hunt with the hound.

Isn't that what you tend to do during an election? ;)

This issue holds no interest for me.

A one day wonder. I'm sick to the teeth of non-stories. And non-politicians.

That Callinan, though, is an egotistical clown who does the Gardaí no favours when it comes to PR.

An interlude ==> as we are at it, don't get me started on Gaybo ... with his latest comment that the recent weather 'put manners' on drivers .... seriously?

Interlude now over ..

GSOC go back to work.

very good Lex, I see what you did there lol

Paddy, I think this is a lot more than a non-story. It's diversionary alright from bigger stories, but I think it's of huge importance. We need to know who is bugging GSOC and who knew about it

This issue holds no interest for me. A one day wonder. I'm sick to the teeth of non-stories.
If it ultimately transpired, despite all the misdirection, that the Gardaí tapped the phone on the sanction of the minister, would that make it a story of interest to you?

If it ultimately transpired, despite all the misdirection, the the Gardaí tapped the phone on the sanction of the minister, would that make it a story of interest to you?

+1

There is an apathy to this story that puzzles me. Not just the murky circumstances that led to the checks and the findings, but the response by Shatter, the Gardai and the general rolling over of the media to the spin from those sources.

Even when caught in manipulating the specific details of what GSOC said, the media has been complicit in going along with the political (and Gardai) line of somehow blaming the GSOC for being bugged and trying to investigate this.

The whole thing stinks. In fact, I'm in need of regular showers for finding myself agreeing far too much with the Shinners on this.

Media are rolling over because the security correspondents get so much of their leaks from the Gardai...they're not going to bite the hand that feeds them

+1

There is an apathy to this story that puzzles me. Not just the murky circumstances that led to the checks and the findings, but the response by Shatter, the Gardai and the general rolling over of the media to the spin from those sources.

Even when caught in manipulating the specific details of what GSOC said, the media has been complicit in going along with the political (and Gardai) line of somehow blaming the GSOC for being bugged and trying to investigate this.

The whole thing stinks. In fact, I'm in need of regular showers for finding myself agreeing far too much with the Shinners on this.

I fully agree. I think part of it is due to the fact that one newspaper broke the story and had access to documentation that other media didn't so they were reluctant to build up the story for The Sunday Times to take the plaudits.

Harder to understand the actions of the Government in this. The way they turned on GSOC from day 1 was disturbing. I know GSOC didn't cover themselves in glory but lookin at the reaction of politicians, I can see why they didn't come forward about this before now.

I just don't understand how we now know that GSOC was under surveilance and yet we are supposed to just move on like nothing happened. But not before we find the whistleblower and punish them. THe whole thing stinks.

The only apathy here is that the whole thing will end up as a bottle of smoke.

'Tis all the news now until the next scandal comes along.

No michaelm ... no matter what transpires at this stage or later it won't twig my interest.

When things drag on they lose my interest. Either investigate it or not. But draw a line under it in some fashion.

Yes I agree I find the Sinn Fein (and FF) take on it kind of hypocritical. .

I cant understand why plaudits are being uncritically heaped on "News International" in light of the sleazy revelations involving bugging, hacking and police complicity in the UK. In that case the motivation was increased circulation for their discredited titles.

GSOC bugging, Cui bono?

There is much speculation about AGS and GSOC but could there be other players who benefit from the GSOC affair?

Foreign Intellegence Agencies?
Global Media Concerns with a history of hacking/survelience in the UK?
Home grown subversives?
Irish Military Intellegence?

aj

The obvious beneficiaries are the Gardaí.
There's no one else in the mix.

Back