How safe are public service jobs?

Back to my original question: How safe are public service jobs?

Perhaps you could elaborate on what exactly you mean by the question.

For a minute I thought it was a health and safety question!

I know some temporary nurses in the HSE and some temporary engineers in the local authorities who are being let go in January. So in that case the jobs are not safe at all.

How safe are public service jobs?
I was speaking to an employee of the Combat Poverty Agency a couple of weeks ago. She (amongst some others) is losing her job when the agency in amalgamated back into DSFA. Tell that to Eddie Hobbs the next time he spouts his BIK/security of tenure nonsense.

In addition, who would want to work for our company when they can get at least double the money and tons of perks in the public sector instead? (doing a similar job)
Please give just one example of where someone can double their money in a comparable public sector job?

I realise I'm coming to this debate late in the day, but I am so sick of this myth going around that public servants treat sick leave like some kind of extension of their annual leave. This is so untrue. The girl I share a room with has taken one days sick leave in the year and a half I have been working with her and I have often seen her coming into work when she is obviously not well. My own boss came into work yesterday after having dealt with her house being completely flooded, handled a major crisis at work, went for a root canal treatment and was back at her desk an hour later. A friend of mine has never taken a days sick leave in ten years and always takes annual leave when she is unwell. I spent three days in hospital recently having tests. On the fourth day, after the final test, I headed straight to the bus stop and came into work. None of us would be considered unusual in the civil service and its really annoying to read all these stupid stories going around. As I have said before, Yes there are some chancers and lazy soandsos in the Civil Service and nobody would be happier to see them get their comeuppance than their fed up colleagues. But please don't tar us all with the same brush. Its lazy and unintelligent and comes across as smug and arrogant.
Just to add some additional context, over the past 3 weeks, I have emails from one colleague from her hospital bed (she is in for cardiac tests) and phone calls from another colleague from his sick bed at home (he tells me his sick leave is a great opportunity to catch up on all those business calls he never gets time to make). One of my kids teachers has had a bad cold for at least four weeks now, and has never missed a day's work.

Back