Banning smoking tobacco in cars with kids.

Reilly on the news last night responded to the enforcement question by saying that while the Gardai would be capable of enforcing it, they wouldn't have to as "peer pressure from other drivers who look across and see a kid in a car and an adult smoking", and then added "they're not going to tolerate that."

So I can only assume the minister is proposing 'non-smoking on front of kids drivers' are going to turn vigilante and punish errant drivers appropriately.
I heard that on the news last night myself...couldn't help laughing!
that man is a complete dope..

Reilly on the news last night responded to the enforcement question by saying that while the Gardai would be capable of enforcing it, they wouldn't have to as "peer pressure from other drivers who look across and see a kid in a car and an adult smoking", and then added "they're not going to tolerate that."

So I can only assume the minister is proposing 'non-smoking on front of kids drivers' are going to turn vigilante and punish errant drivers appropriately.

I heard that on the news last night myself...couldn't help laughing!
that man is a complete dope..

Do we have health inspectors in every pub every night enforcing the smoking ban? Or perhaps peer pressure does actually work?

Do we have health inspectors in every pub every night enforcing the smoking ban? Or perhaps peer pressure does actually work?

It's publicans enforcing that law because they will be fined for allowing smoking in the pub if someone is caught lighting-up.

As a non smoker I think that smoking is simply ridiculous as well as dangerous. I also think that smoking in the car with kids is particularly bad, for obvious reasons.

However I can see no role for the criminal law in this matter.

It not just smokers you know. The gardai will be able to ask anyone if they have been smoking, if their children were in the car when they were smoking.

I think this is completely unacceptable.

We would all like to live in a society where people don't do things like smoke in the car with their kids, but I don't want to live in a society where the police can interfere in my private life on suspicion of smoking!

This whole Nanny State thing is a bit over the top isn't it ?

Can people not see that these parents are making a conscious decision to damage their children's long term health ? They obviously aren't intelligent enough to see that as a problem, so I say fair play to the State in attempting to stop them from damaging their children's health and removing smoking from mainstream society.

Remember that these children don't have a choice or a voice in stopping their parents smoking in their presence.

Do you think the state should take the children away from these parents. After all the law cannot make anyone more intelligent

I agree with Rainyday. It is socially unacceptable to smoke in pubs (most people won't smoke indoors at all). That has been led by legislation.

I agree, but as DB74 points out, the publican takes a hefty hit if a smoker is found on premises.

What was ridiculous about Reilly's statement was that he expected drivers of other cars who witness someone smoking in with children in their car to actually intervene to stop it.

I agree, but as DB74 points out, the publican takes a hefty hit if a smoker is found on premises.
HOw many 'hefty hits' have been handed out by the courts - a handful?

The system is peer policed.

HOw many 'hefty hits' have been handed out by the courts - a handful?

The system is peer policed.

All it takes is a handful, ask Fibber Magee's if they still allow it after their €9.5k fine, or the publican in Monaghan who was jailed for 3 months. I've seen people smoking in bars since the ban, other customers do nothing other than shoot a few dirty looks, it's the staff that enforce it.

If peer policing worked, no one would be using a mobile phone while driving, no one would be breaking red lights, or speeding, yet you see multiple examples of that every day of the week. If peer policing worked, we wouldn't need a police force!

Back