RTE News Lead Story

Sunny

So Europe is facing it's biggest security threat this century but RTE decide to lead their on-line news content with a story about a celebrity muder trial in South Africa. To be fair, so does sky news so they are in good company. :rolleyes:

Since this century is only 13 years old as of yet, how do you know?

the 6pm news had the lead story of the Athlone child rapist pleading guilty, with Ukraine on after that

I certainly think Eamonn Gilmore standing up to the Ruskies should be top headline. Moscow must be quivering, this is after all the guy who stood up to Frankfurt.

I certainly think Eamonn Gilmore standing up to the Ruskies should be top headline.

Apparently the Russians have changed their plans once they heard the EU foreign ministers met and were planning a robust response. There is even talk of politicians not attending the Paralympics. Great to see the EU flex their muscles on the international stage.

Gilmore summoning the Russian ambassador is firmly number one in RTE headlines. Hasn't Eamon travelled a long way from being a staunch admirer of the Soviet Union to supporting neo-fascists in Ukraine.:(

I certainly think Eamonn Gilmore standing up to the Ruskies should be top headline. Moscow must be quivering, this is after all the guy who stood up to Frankfurt.

Reminds me of the Skibereen Eagle...
The Skibbereen Eagle, a newspaper founded in 1857, was famous for its international perspective, publishing an editorial that "told Lord Palmerston that it had “got its eye both upon him and on the Emperor of Russia."",[4] and in August 1914 having a leading article that said “We give this solemn warning to Kaiser Wilhelm: The Skibbereen Eagle has its eye on you.

Standards have dropped so badly on both RTE television and radio that I don't even bother with it any more. Newstalk does the job for a tiny fraction of the budget and with seriously higher degree of professionalism & without getting a lefty liberal agenda in at every opportunity.Morning Ireland used to be an excellent programme now I would rather drive to work in silence than listen to it.

Don't know about that Knuttell...I find the lefty liberal agenda on Newstalk to be unbelievably in your face....(Ivan Yates and Marc Coleman apart)

Don't know about that Knuttell...I find the lefty liberal agenda on Newstalk to be unbelievably in your face....(Ivan Yates and Marc Coleman apart)

When you say lefty liberal agenda, what do you mean?

No, I meant how do Newstalk drive a left wing liberal agenda? What examples are there?

Chris O'Donohoe and Ger Gilroy (esp when he was on the early morning show back in the day) are 2 example's I'd use.
I find them and indeed most of that radio channel (and indeed most of the media in this country) to be on 'lefty liberal agenda' side of things. They throw out a rabid right winger like Marc Coleman on the dead of a Sunday night for 'balance'

y.Morning Ireland used to be an excellent programme now I would rather drive to work in silence than listen to it.

Plus they can't manage a time check without getting it wrong and you just know the clock in the studio is 4ft high and 3ft wide with a someone standing beside it signing the time to them.

I have strong liberal views on social issues and I nearly always agree with the views expressed on NewsTalk in the morning so I agree that they therefore must have very socially liberal views. I avoid RTE because of their left-wing and pro protected sector bias.

First 20 mins of RTE Six One taken up with Ukrainian crisis. Then after the break an interview with the Russian ambassador. He seemed amazingly calm for someone who had earlier in the week been mauled by Comrade Gilmore.

Back