An Post runs out of low denomination stamps!

SlugBreath

I called in to the Stillorgan Post office today looking for 20 x 5c stamps. I already have a stock of 55c stamps at home so I needed to stock up with 5c stamps as the standard postage has now increased to 60c. I was told that there was none of these stamps available anywhere. I was told that I would have to bring my roll of 55c stamps to the Post Office and they would then "print" off some sort of 5c stamp for me to match the number of 55c stamps that I had. In fact I was told that there were no 1c or 2c stamps available either. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

I had to do the exact same thing a few weeks back, I was well impressed with the little label printer and the girl just selected the value I needed (in this case 5c) and printed off a bunch for me, I enquired and she said she could add any value needed

I had to do the exact same thing a few weeks back, I was well impressed with the little label printer and the girl just selected the value I needed (in this case 5c) and printed off a bunch for me, I enquired and she said she could add any value needed

Not in the Stillorgan Post Office. I was told that I had to bring in my roll of 55c stamps to "see what ones they were" before I could purchase these print offs. No way was she simply printing off labels to the value required. I guess I got the staff member who hadn't bothered to read the staff memo but was making up her own rules as she went along. I wouldn't mind but I had to queue for near 20 minutes to be given this duff information. I think I will pay another visit during the week to see what is going on there and with the information provided above I will be in a better position to question her ridiculous rules.

Update. Called to the Stillorgan Post Office today. Different person serving me this time. I asked for 10 x 5p label stamps and I was immediately offered these. I pointed out that I had been refused these last week and went through the story with this new person and asked for her side of the story. I was told that "in training" they were told that they had to see the 55c stamps belonging to the customer before they could issue the 5c labels. I asked her "Why". She said that she had been told this in training. She also said that they were only allowed to issue 10 x 5c labels per person.
Can anyone explain to me why there are no regular 5c stamps available? Why the Post Office is restricting people to 10 x 5c labels when they have the facility to print off multiples of these?
When dealing with the other person earlier in the week I was not told that I could have purchased 10 (I had asked for 20).

Can anyone explain to me why there are no regular 5c stamps available? Why the Post Office is restricting people to 10 x 5c labels when they have the facility to print off multiples of these?
When dealing with the other person earlier in the week I was not told that I could have purchased 10 (I had asked for 20).

Probably some new ex Troika exit rule:D

"they haven't gone away ya know"

I had lots of 55c stamps and used them to send around 40+ Christmas cards last week and they've all arrived. :)

I asked at my local PO and was told just to use the 55c and that An Post would honour them.

Blackrock Post Office have a different limit it seems. 20 x 5c stamps per person. They won't sell anymore because "people are selling them on the internet".
Why stamp and label collectors should stop the rest of us from buying 5c stamps is beyond me! If they ever have a value, it won't be for a few years anyhow.

They won't sell anymore because "people are selling them on the internet".

That's ridiculous! I could only find one example, and I don't think too many of us would pay close to €4 for one!

Anyway, even if people are selling them on the internet, so what? Wouldn't that just mean more sales and hence revenue for An Post?

I had a similar query so I contacted an Post. This is there reply 10 weeks later.

"Normally ‘Top Up’ stamps (5 cent stamps) are not sold over the counter unless the customer presents the item / items that one wishes to post at the counter to ensure that the correct postage is charged.

For the Christmas period we did allow some flexibility to these rules in order to facilitate customers who genuinely have a requirement for multiple ‘Top Up’ stamps."

Back