car insurance and medical problem

sisterjoan

A friend has been diagnosed with a chronic serious medical problem that will be long term, will require medication and treatment -- she is worried whether she will be able to get insurance to drive as this is a major part of her job. She already has insurance and obviously will have to declare the condition for it to be valid. Once treated she will be able again to do all the normal things she always did but will need long term medication and possibly treatment again in the future.

Will she be able to get insurance? Do insurers have to insure everyone? Will the loading be huge?
Just wondering if anyone here has experience of this.

As advised by a poster here on AAM I wrote to my insurer to advise them of a medical condition. The insurer never replied but I kept a copy.

My understanding is it is up to your Doctor to declare you fit or unfit to drive. If you go to RSA to advise they need you to get your Doctor to report. Their web site is confusing because they say you must report to RSA see here http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/Medical-Issues/

My insurance does not have a loading and I have no restrictions on driving but discuss your concerns with your GP and let your Doctor guide you.

Back