Iceland Travel in Summer or Winter?

IrishGunner

Ok checking out the prices for flying to Iceland sometime this year

Was looking at going the October Bank holiday and compared the prices of doing a DIY to that of the package of Wallace Travel. Not much in the difference and with Wallace its direct rather than via London Manchester etc

Now wondering if it would be better to go in the Summer and do the DIY trip or is it worth going in October just to see the Northern Lights and suffer the cold? Although I did hear it can be cold in the Summer also ?

Hi Gunner,

I went to Iceland some years back (2000 I think). I travelled in August and it was 12 degrees approx during the day but dropped to 1 or 2 degrees at night. Not sure if this was a particularly cold summer. Great holiday though, but expensive (might not be the case at the moment). Reykjavik is a great little city and a lot of the popular tourist sights can be taken as day trips from there.

Hi Gunner,

Try Dublin - Gatwick with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. Allow two hours connection time and catch Iceland Express direct to Reykjavik.

Do it yourself car hire (try local Icelandic car hire companies rather than the Hertz and avis).

Accommodation from Hostels to Guest Houses to Hotels. (book at least two months in advance)

Reykjavik see http://visitreykjavik.is/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-17/12_view-28/

If you're on a long wekend you might be able to see South Iceland - http://www.mummi.is/info-eng/01-Hveragerdi-A.html or http://south.is/ and West Iceland at a push http://www.reykjanes.is/english/

Northern lights best north of the Arctic circle Jan / Feb - try somewhere in Northern Norway such as Tromso .

Good time to visit now as the € buys you a hell of a lot more now than it did last year.

Jan / Feb can be miserable in Iceland, the winter really hits in Feb.

March /April is a great time to visit as it is still off-peak though during my last few visits it has been getting busier and busier each year at this time.

Northern lights are a hit and miss affair, its too cold in Janaury for them more likely Feb or March.

In Iceland you'll need to go north and into the country to have a better chance of seeming them but the first time I saw them was one evening in March from my friends apartment balcony in suburban Reykjavik!

Temperatures in March could range from anywhere near -10 to 5 degrees, Iceland always gets the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language end of any winter storms hitting the Eastern N. America, so be prepared for anything.

If you have oodles of cash, are willing to put up with countless other tourists and are happy to suffer a lack of sleep, then by all means visit in the summer! ;)

This is the quote I got with Wallace which is ok still want to look at the DIY option and see if I want to go in the Summer or Winter

The price for the October Bank Holiday Weekend (22nd-26th October) is Euro 559.00 + Euro 58.00 tax per person and includes:

-Return direct flights
-4 nights BB sharing in the 4-Star Loftleider Hotel
-Airport Transfers
-Experienced WTG Tour Leaders

Any tours are extra and can be booked with us in advance or at the hospitality desk in the hotel.
A deposit of Euro 100.00 per person is required to guarantee the booking.

Well over 2 years since I asked this question Miss Gunner and myself finally heading to Iceland next week.

Have hotel sorted as its a package deal. Only thing I know we are doing is the Blue Lagoon. Since Iceland went to the wall have their prices decreased or is the price of the pint as bad as all other Scandanavian countries ?

Also looking for places to eat in Reykjavik & day tours as only there for 4 days

Cheers

I would imagine your hotel will have a company in situ offering day tours. Ours did and it was only a small hotel.

Thanks

Yeah managed to book it myself with ReykjavikTours. Did Northern Lights, Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon. Only had a couple of days there so tried to do as much as I could.

Weird and wonderful country and still a bit expensive but not as much as I thought, Norway beats all Scandic prices hands down

With the collapse of the Icelandic currency they have increased prices for tourism so tours not the cheapest thats what local barman told me........I think I heard him right as had a few Gull & viking beers

Back