Bremen

I lived close to Bremen for a few years. It's a nice city, pop. approx 1.0 million. I think it would be OK for a city break, if you've done the usual suspects already (Copenhagen, Amsterdam etc) and want to look somewhere different.

There are nice walks along the river Weser, and in summer there is a nice bar/resto scene along the banks of the river. You can visit the Becks brewery and have a few free pints. The city itself is nice too, and apparently the Cathedral is a big visitor attraction. Nightlife is not bad too, but Hamburg is better if you want more variety.

Bremen is a new Ryanair hub AFAIK, so I am sure they have some more info on their website about the city.

Just back from a trip to see Bremen's Christmas market as I was told by a native that it is one of the best in Germany. Travelled with my wife and 2 small kids (4&2) and we all had a great time. Had been to Munich's markets the previous Christmas and Bremen's was bigger, more varied, and better in my small familys opinion. Nice compact town center as well. Population about half a million according to travel book, but their tram/bus/train infrastructure is mindblowing compared to home.

Hi Boxthefox

We stayed in Park Hotel which is 5* (funny seeing silver service with an infant and a toddler). It was 240 or so per night for the 4 of us. The hotel is in a large park but is only 5 min walk from city center. It was fantastic and the missus was raving about it. The Werder Bremen football team were staying there the night before their home match which put them top of the league, so the staff were in great form.

Another choice is the Hilton which is smack bang in the middle of the city. I'm sure there is another gem that I am not mentioning. Hope this helps.

Back