Asked to 'print name' on laser transaction receipt?

N

Niamh75

Hello

I was asked to print my name on a laser transaction receipt in a service station yesterday. The young girl didn't seem dodgy, and it's in a small Irish town, but when I left it struck me as a weird requirement.

I thought I would check if this was policy for stores/machines that either weren't set up for codes or were having a problem with the codes at the moment. Anyone have any insights into bank policy on this?

Thanks,
Niamh

Re: Asked to 'print name' on laser transaction receipt??

If I get cashback on my laser card I am often asked to initial it on the receipt but this is in addition to either entering my PIN or signing the receipt

If I get cashback on my laser card I am often asked to initial it on the receipt but this is in addition to either entering my PIN or signing the receipt

me too.

Thanks for responding guys,

No, this was a quick, small purchase transaction. No cashback. And she stopped me mid-signature and said it was the 'new policy' to get a printed name. I obliged without thinking. This morning I called the shop. The lady who answered didn't really understand what I was asking, but wasn't aware of any policy, but urged me not to worry.. she said when they swipe the card, it can come up with 'pin error', even before the code is entered, which tells them they need a signature as opposed to a pin. But she didn't know of any need to get a printed name. Anyway, I guess I will call a few banks on Monday and speak to the the cashcard retail systems departments.. just seemed odd. I noted that my laser card number was printed in full on the slip (as opposed to partially xxx'd out), so now someone effectively has all my card details..

Sure we'll see I guess. If it turns into anything I suppose I will have to launch a one-woman anti-scam crusade.. could have worse hobbies eh.

Thanks again..

Something similar happened me late last summer at a petrol station near Tralee. What I cant work out is: the station is still operating a chip and pin system but is also insisting on standard signatures and / or block letter signing.

Thanks for responding guys,

No, this was a quick, small purchase transaction. No cashback. And she stopped me mid-signature and said it was the 'new policy' to get a printed name. I obliged without thinking. This morning I called the shop. The lady who answered didn't really understand what I was asking, but wasn't aware of any policy, but urged me not to worry.. she said when they swipe the card, it can come up with 'pin error', even before the code is entered, which tells them they need a signature as opposed to a pin. But she didn't know of any need to get a printed name. Anyway, I guess I will call a few banks on Monday and speak to the the cashcard retail systems departments.. just seemed odd. I noted that my laser card number was printed in full on the slip (as opposed to partially xxx'd out), so now someone effectively has all my card details..

Sure we'll see I guess. If it turns into anything I suppose I will have to launch a one-woman anti-scam crusade.. could have worse hobbies eh.

Thanks again..

Write a dated letter to the Fraud Section in your bank advising them that this happened and thus leave the onus on them to check it out. Keep a careful/daily eye on the transactions to ensure there aren't any dodgy ones taking place. Make sure to keep a copy of the letter to the bank and this should cover your responsibilities.

I know in superquin or Tesco if you use the 'Self service' checkout and pay via laser card then the assistant has to come down and make you physically sign the receipt...you never get to enter a PIN

Defo watch your account though and get that letter into the bank just in case

I know in superquin or Tesco if you use the 'Self service' checkout and pay via laser card then the assistant has to come down and make you physically sign the receipt...you never get to enter a PIN

Really? I used the self service checkout in Tesco on Friday, paid by laser, entered my PIN, all requiring no intervention from one of the ever so attentive Tesco "support executives".

Really? I used the self service checkout in Tesco on Friday, paid by laser, entered my PIN, all requiring no intervention from one of the ever so attentive Tesco "support executives".

Same here the one and only time I've used it.

Could just a staff member who has different practises. Perhaps from another shop or something. When travelling in Europe its seems quite common to be asked for pin and a signature. In my experience.

Personally I don't see that pins offer the card holder much protection as all it takes is someone to see your pin. Most places have no cover to hide you entering a pin. However its a good excuse for the bank to refuse covering any claims you might make. (which is the real reason for the change). Ditto signatures, easy to copy and no protection at all really.

They've no obligation to collect a signature so it's a complete waste of time on the shops behalf. Once the correct pin's been entered the transaction's authorised. I think some retailers simply fail to grasp the concept.

If you have entered your pin, do not sign anything after that point. They've absolutely no reason to take a signature. If the receipt says "Verified by PIN" that's enough.

If you sign any other receipt, you're potentially authorising a second transaction!!

I find some of the practices in many stores a bit weird though. Quite a lot of the chain stores swipe your card through their own till system then use a seperate chip and pin machine to actually process the transaction. I always find this extremely worrying.

From what I can see, that leaves your card details open to being stolen as you've no idea what level of data protection those till systems have.

Surely it should either be chip and pin and nothing else or else old fashioned swipe and sign. You can't really do both!

I find some of the practices in many stores a bit weird though. Quite a lot of the chain stores swipe your card through their own till system then use a seperate chip and pin machine to actually process the transaction. I always find this extremely worrying.

I challenged a shop about this recently and was told if you don't like it go elsewhere. I promptly did.

Back