Car hire US

sorry one more point. is it not nice to be able to just check into your hotel that your gps guided you to, hop back into the car after relaxing for a while and just type in closest restuarants so you dont have to go trawling through the area looking for a place to eat. the gps will list them all for you

What's the story in the US re car insurance, do we have to purchase from the car supplier? My brother's had an experience where he had to pay pretty much the same as he already been quoted for hire again for insurance for a 2 week trip.

When you arrive at the rental desk of any car hire company in a US airport you will be given the hard sell. They will try and sell you extra insurance, in your brothers experience they seemed to have succeeded.
If you have already paid in full this side you should be covered, insist on the gold or platininum packages. If they dont succeed in the insurance hard sell they will try and convince you that the car you have booked is too small for your party and try and upgrade you to a car that you will probably get anyway.
They prey on tired travellers who have just endured a 7-10 hour flight. Just stand your ground and say no no no.
These guys get paid very little over there and they cream off 25% of what you give them so the incentive is there for them to give you a hard time. Its an awful system they have in place over there, but hey its the states.

Will be in florida in Sept and have never drove abroad before. Few questions, Do i need an international drivers licence for the US and secondly, my insurance dosent cover me in the US, only in europe, so do you purchase insurance when you hire a car or is it inclusive in the price when you book? Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Sarah

We usually go with carhire3000.com. after a lot of looking around they usually come out on top. I would book through the U.K site as they are cheaper than any Irish agent. Make sure you get the gold package this includes all the top insurance and free tank of petrol, that you dont have to fill up when leaving back. Make sure you have all that in writing from the above company or they will try and dispute it with you when you get to the desk at the airport. Try and get a car through Alamo, that way you will have the choice of the car that you want to drive.... you might be lucky and get leather seats. When you get your voucher from carhire3000 make sure it has all the things you asked for on it, and that it says paid in full( see my post above).
We are going over ourselves in September so might meet you over there. We go over twice a year and know everything there is to know about central Florida PM me for more if you wish.

I disagree.

If you can't drive on the roads in the States there is no hope for you.

that easy for you to say, I am excellent at navigational driving , yet if you arrive in to the states late at nite and tired, you will find it a tad confusing, gps overides this problem

Will be in florida in Sept and have never drove abroad before. Few questions, Do i need an international drivers licence for the US and secondly, my insurance dosent cover me in the US, only in europe, so do you purchase insurance when you hire a car or is it inclusive in the price when you book? Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
You DO NOT need an international driving permit for the US. A current Irish (or EU) licence is sufficient.
You will have to take out insurance with the rental company when you take out the car , they have various levels of cover - silver, platinum,gold etc. but the important thing is to make sure you have CDW (COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER) on it , that way yoy have peace of mind that no matter what happens you will not be liable for any extra charges.
One other thing , as this is your first time driving in Floirida you should comsider taking out a Sat-Nav from the rental company , they are pretty cheap to rent and it will save you hours over the course of the holiday.
Enjoy ...

Re: Aircoach - Greystones

Plan using this tomorrow, from Shankill. Anyone know if it stays on schedule or should I use alternate mode? The longer the trip, the greater the scope for falling behind schedule.

How on earth did you manage to get this post into this thread?

you can buy a sat nav in walmart for 100 dollars. it will nearly cost that much to rent it

Back