Blackberry V Iphone for business use

anniemac

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I have my BB about 4+ years now and I am coming out of my contract mid June and being a gadget person feel I 'NEED' an Iphone. but my phone is mainly for work- emails, diary, instant messaging from office etc and as I have to have two phones one north one south buying a IPod touch means I would need a trolley case not a handbag. so my question is anybody here switched from BB to Iphone and if you had the offer again would you still change? I would be so thankful for any views!

i dont think the i pod is as good for business. Dont think you can type half as quick on a touch screen.

Also i pod is not as robust when it comes to being thrown around etc.

And I would go with the 9000 series. Same mini usb port as older models, with a bigger keypad and screen for busy users.

The others are fiddly little things.

I have a Bold for a few months now without a complaint.

Touch screen would be nice though.

Touch screen would be nice though.

I thought the same but having used one I dont think you can beat the full/nomal qwerty keyboard althought the touch screen is faster fhen you are on the net and messing with pics but that is not much help when you spend most of your time on email.

blackberry all the way for business, i phones are alot of fun but take alot of tinkering to get it to do what you want. Having said i have a bold and and finding that alot of developers are starting to make some decent apps for the blackberry now.

I recommend
amaze (free tom tom),
poynt (find shops and cinema timing) ,
bloomberg mobile for market news and currency rates,
facebook new version (as very similar to iphone version)
Opera mini 5 beta (for web use sooo much better than the standard browser) and finally the updated blackberry messenger.

yea all in mp3 (as easy as putting music on a usb stick), no messing around with itunes as well (which i hate by the way)
you can also put movies/ music videos on there with the HD screen.

i will say however the only problem with blackberry's is the camera, the old bold camera is rubbish, but i am told the new bold is better though. having said that the iphone camera is not much better

Can you put all your music on a blackberry?

Dont know about "all" but yes you can put a lot of music on it, sdmini disks are cheap enough but just double check that you dont get one that is too big for your phone (I think some devices cannot handle mini disks that hold too much memory)

There's pros and cons to the iPhone as a business phone. As others have said it isn't really designed to be a business phone, more a personal phone. However, it depends on your business really. One advantage to the iPhone is the development of apps that might prove useful depending on your work.

But that's about it.

It's also not a phone to be throwing about in the handbag without good insurance covering screen damage.

So if it's just emails, calls, some music and the usual, probably better with the BB.

I've heard the battery life isn't as good on an iphone compared to a blackberry (no personal experience)

iphone battery life is very poor, in heavy usage its less than half a day. I bought one at serious cost out of contract abroad and although lovely to use the touch screen interface doesn't work for business - emails and messaging.
If you use Blackberry messenger then stick with a Blackberry as its all you can use. I've moved back to Nokia from a Bold 9000 and got an E72 recently, I love it and it outperforms everything i've used for ages - all about personal preference though

There's no question that the battery life is poor on an iPhone, but that is the only major draw back.

We have exchanger servers on each of our sites, and to use blackberries we would have had to purchase blackberry enterprise server for each site, $$, new server hardware $$, and would have had an additional application to support. This isn't required when using the iPhone for mails.

Anyone who says that you can't type as quickly on a touch screen may not have used one for long.

I don't think you can say tha the iPhone isn't suitable for business.... for me, it is suitable, and preferable to using blackberries. Unfortunatley, the phone providers don't seem to agree, and there are no tarriffs available that are aimed at business users.

Data roaming is horribly expensive (which is a real drawback)

Vodafone are officially offering the iPhone from March 25th, but they are maintaing their cosy cartel with 02, and there's not much difference in pricing in the tarrifs.

Can you tether with a blackberry? (Use the blackberry as a modem to get internet access on your laptop)?

There's no question that the battery life is poor on an iPhone, but that is the only major draw back.
There are lots of reasons touchscreen just doesn't work in the business environment and the E72 i'm currently using requires nothing additional at the exchange side as its running a client that looks just like activesync. Any reasonable amount of mail use for me requires qwerty and I did try and persevere with iPhone as I loved the twitter and facebook ability.
The other massive drawback is that in the three months I used it I broke the screen twice, any kind of drop at all and it smashes. I know there are screen protectors but that completely takes away from touch experience of it so iPhone is a nice to have but not practical in heavy use environments.

There are lots of reasons touchscreen just doesn't work in the business environment and the E72 i'm currently using requires nothing additional at the exchange side as its running a client that looks just like activesync. Any reasonable amount of mail use for me requires qwerty and I did try and persevere with iPhone as I loved the twitter and facebook ability.
The other massive drawback is that in the three months I used it I broke the screen twice, any kind of drop at all and it smashes. I know there are screen protectors but that completely takes away from touch experience of it so iPhone is a nice to have but not practical in heavy use environments.

I have the old iphone 2G and the big drawback for me is that I can't always get access to the internet despite having a dataplan. If I want to use the internet I have to be connected to wifi.
The other thing is trying to send work e-mails, I can receive them but for some reason cant send them. I also dont have access to my inbox so it only gives me unread messages, once I get back to my laptop and read the emails on my laptop they're gone from my iphone. Is this the same with a blackberry?

Back