VHI Best comparison to Plan B

pingin

Last year I rather carelessly forgot to renew my VHI health insurance and for my sins ended up paying €25 extra per month after automatic renewal. I'm on the HealthAccess (Plan B) policy, paying €142 per month. Single man, 54, unmarried, in permanent employment in a university, no dependants. Healthy, apart from high blood pressure. Have only been in hospital once in my life, touch wood!

I've had a look at the Key Post on health insurance and did the comparison on the HIA web site but I'm still not sure. Is there a comparable and cheaper option under the Teachers or Corporate plans?

Laya Healthcare is coming in at half the price, with semi-private rather than private rooms. That seems too good to be true. Is there a catch? That's assuming they'd take me in the first place.

Many thanks.

Thanks odyssey06. That's very helpful. It looks like I'm not in for an enormous saving, but I suppose that depends on what I opt for.

There's the potential for significant savings, but only if you're willing to opt for less cover or higher excess.

The Laya "Design Your Own Plan" has gotten good feedback from other AAM users. It lets you select the level of hospital cover, excess and day to medical expenses reimbursements you want. Helps to narrow down the bewildering selection of plans that are out there - but obviously will only suggest Laya ones.

If you want to keep comparable cover to Plan B though, it doesn't come cheap :(

Not particularly committed to Plan B. I just drifted into it due to my terribly casual approach to these things. I probably don't need half the cover I'm currently signed up for.

I'll definitely renew in time this year and will have a good look at the Laya plans. Thanks again for all your help.

Company Plan Extra Select costing €1144 is a much better plan (comparable to the old B options) than your existing plan for in patient expenses and after all this is why we all take out health insurance, there is however an excess of €100 per claim. The day to day cover with your Plan B has an excess of €300 which would mean a lot of visits to the doc ! Compare the 2 plans on the hia.ie website.

Company Plan Extra Select costing €1144....

Hello,

Possible stupid question but here goes....

Is this plan available to all members of the public to purchase, or must you be in a "company" as the name of the plan might suggest ?

Thank you.

Is this plan available to all members of the public to purchase, or must you be in a "company" as the name of the plan might suggest ?Thank you.

All plans are available to all customers. The "company" in the name is a legacy from when they were offered to companies only.

Many thanks,

You'd think they might have the decency to remove some of the confussion from the various plans and their names... although perhaps there is another agenda there.

Back