Online House + contents insurance

It possibly might be that they are wary that your previous OH may have a legal interest in your property even though you are divorced.

shopped around a bit for buildings and contents insurance for county dublin and 123.ie seemed to be the best. Getcover were slightly cheaper but they coverge is not as good.

was with 123.ie but insure.ie beat them this time around. If you have home with them they give a better car rate also.

Just a quick comment re 123.ie I've been completely stalked for my home insurance (contents only) renewal this year - before I even received a renewal quote I started getting at least one phonecall a day offering me a "better quote". As I hadn't received any quote in the post I had to ring them to find out what the better quote was. Even though this was at least 3 weeks before the renewal date I then got a phonecall everyday asking me to renew (I didn't answer any of them just let my mobile take a message).

I eventually rang back and told them to stop calling me. I know they were only doing their job but it really was borderline harrassment when a) I never received a written quote in the first place b) renewal was several weeks away.

I actually considered moving companies just so I won't have to take their 10 phonecalls next year but I ended up staying with them as one of their valuation criteria had a higher limit than any other companies & I didn't want the hassle of having to get this particular item valued.

Anyway they might consider the hard-sell approach just might be putting people off.

The Society of Chartered Surveyors have a [broken link removed] which explains how to estimate the rebuild cost for house insurance purposes. AFAIK it's updated every year.

doesn't seem to be there anymore....

anyone know the outline of how to calculate rebuilding costs?

Just a similar exprience, I switched my contents insurance to 123.ie and again some months before the renewal date I was hounded by letters and phone calls. Many of the items on the pre-printed form were incorrect, even my address. I didn't renew with them but elsewhere.

I then began to receive phone calls and letters from my mortgage company who were notified by 123.ie that I had ceased my insurance - now bear in mind this was contents insurance and therefore was of no interest to my mortgage company. I could not however get this through their heads and it took some amount of letters (being informed by telephone that supervisors didn't exist and people in BOI don't take phone calls beggared belief - I have no problem confirming in writing but this torturous correspondence went on and on - at a time when I was leaving my house unoccupied).

I need to get House Insurance for my apartment. Is the general consensus here that 123.ie are the best?

Cheers,
M

Just wanted to share the following:

- Received Home Insurance Renewal info from Allianz: €493.12 - €112 up on last year..
- 123.ie online quote for exact same buildings/contents/accidental & 125 excess = €240

Nice One !

Hi Gibson_Lp, I also have received my new quote from Allianz, up over €100 on last year, but if you phone them up they will reduce the premium. If you go online again and get quote from Allianz but use another name you will see a much lower quote. I do this to compare prices because there are three of us on this insurance I can use one of the other names.

Re: New on-line insurance broker

"Thank you for visiting our site and I note you have received a quotation for
your Motor Insurance.

Should you obtain a better price elsewhere, please contact me on 1850 43 43 43
quoting the reference number above and we will review your details and hopefully
improve on your quotation.

Kind Regards,"

I went through the process of requesting a quote for car insurance through insure.ie. The quotes were average. Then this arrived a week later.

Who are they trying to kid? They may just as well have said "ONLY JOKING!! Give us a ring and we will give you a better quote." It is no wonder that car insurance is such a irritant to many people.

and I got a telling off by a number of people on this site because I got annoyed by the way Insurance companies do business in this country- i rest my case!

Anniemac, I'm with you on that.

Why don't they just give their best price first time when you ask?

If any insurance company / broker asks you what your current premium is then you just know they are probing to see want they are up against so they can give just enough but not too much to get your business.

The only way to stop such practice is to just reply what is your best price. If they are cheapest reward them with your business otherwise walk away. They'll be forced to be honest in they way they do business and the consumer will benefit.

Re: New on-line insurance broker

and I got a telling off by a number of people on this site because I got annoyed by the way Insurance companies do business in this country- i rest my case!

Not to lead the thread astray but thats because you implied something else Anniemac! Think you need to get over it now!

Anyone using Getcover.ie for home insurance at the moment.
I am shopping around and they appear competetive.

Rgds

Billo

Does anybody have any current recommendations for insurance companies / brokers with competitive rates for house & contents insurance in 2016?

Does anybody have any current recommendations for insurance companies / brokers with competitive rates for house & contents insurance in 2016?
Just insured the homestead with Chrome for a second year. Found them easy to deal with, very reasonable quote (€259 for a four bed detached). I usually have a good look every year for the best deal...didn't have to this year, very happy

Impossible to say in the general case as situations/requirements vary so much.
You need to shop around - online initially at least and maybe then call a few that seem to offer good value/suitable cover.
As ever don't shop on price alone - carefully check the policy details too as cover can vary.

Just insured the homestead with Chrome for a second year. Found them easy to deal with, very reasonable quote (€259 for a four bed detached). I usually have a good look every year for the best deal...didn't have to this year, very happy
Thanks for the suggestion! I contacted Chrome who were highly competitive and very fast and efficient with dealing with my questions. Its my first time buying home insurance so I had a good shop around as ClubMan suggested to get the idea of the different policy details and levels of cover. Aviva also seemed very competitive for the basic levels of cover.

I contacted chrome today for a quote but haven't heard anything back. How long did it take for you to get a response?

Back