petrol price reduction reluctance

110quests

My nearest petrol station is consistently the most expensive in this town. Two others charge a cent or maybe two less.

Twelve miles away I can buy for six cents less and I do as it is in my line of travel. The prices are 1 58 against 1 52. It never happens that I need to purchase in the city and rarely down the country.

How do these prices compare ?

How do these prices compare ?

Driving home last night (Dublin), garage on merrion strand was 152.9, wrong side of the road so didn’t bother, 1 kilometer on maybe, through Merrion Gates, garage on the left was 159.9, that's 7 cent a litre more expensive, my car takes approx 40 liters, so €2.80 more expensive in my case for a fill.

Kept going up to the N11 and filled up at 153.9 in the garage near the top of Booterstown Ave.

There is a website www.pumps.ie that shows the current prices at all garages. At the moment in Dublin petrol varies from 149.7c on Ushers Quay to 159.9 in Deansgrange.

Since March I have been paying 141.9 for diesel, until it dropped to 140.9 during the last month.

In light of recent reports of petrol stretching I am a bit more careful about where I fill up. Price isn't the only factor.

In light of recent reports of petrol stretching I am a bit more careful about where I fill up. Price isn't the only factor.

But charging top price for the genuine product and less by "petrol stretchers" both militate against the customer, the latter being most damaging. Both are based on extra profits for the retailer.

Charging top price must not be seen as a guarantee of non polluted product nor a more competitive price as somewhat dubious.

Pumps.ie depends on feed from the public......so not all covered.

Charging top price must not be seen as a guarantee of non polluted product nor a more competitive price as somewhat dubious.

Why not?

The experience in my neck of the woods is that organised criminals running laundered fuel filling stations attract customers by charging low prices - suspiciously low in some cases.

Fuel retailers aren't charities - if the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

T McGibney: "Fuel retailers are not charities, If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is"

Agreed on both points. There is an outlet some few miles from me with very low prices. I don't buy there ...in case "the talk" is true. There is, as said originally, a local outlet with the highest prices, consistently. I don't buy there either.

Where prices are excessively low, I expect Custom&Excise do their duty.

Hello,

I think the petrol service station industry needs to be monitored more closely ...

A) They are very quick to raise their prices, but appear a lot slower to reduce them (despite relevant factors which apparently influence price, having moved)

B) Suggestion of fuel being tampered with needs to be immediately investigated each and every time there is legitimate concern. The government gets a lot of tax from the sale of fuel, the least they can do is ensure the product is of the stated quality etc.

Its all down to pure greed with regards petrol prices..
Same with energy companies.even when the market price of oil and gas drops,do you ever see the big utility companies quickly drop the price of gas and electricity down for their customers quickly???

They come up with all the lame excuses in the world to justify keeping the price high and not pass on the savings to the customer.

According to several newspapers Mr Noonan has no plans to hike up the price of petrol or diesel on Tuesday.

So we can all go back to living like and kings and queens now.

Has the price of oil not been dropping recently due to higher production by the USA? How come this has not lead to lower petrol and diesel prices or are there other considerations I am not aware of?

According to the Petrol companies it is the strength of the Dollar against the Euro which is keeping the prices high. They also continue to argue that the price drop in crude oil does not necessarily reflect price drops in refined oil.

If find the above quite strange as increase in crude oil will of course increase refined oil prices.

Currency fluctuations change all the time and yet petrol prices only seem to go up

If petrol & diesel retailing suddenly becomes very profitable, a host of new operators will open up in sites that have closed down in recent years, and the resulting competition will force down prices.

Diesel is at €1.389 here locally but another garage still charging €1.449 per litre.

Kerosene is at 77c per litre. Last time I filled up it cost 91c per litre.

Back