2 versus 4 stroke strimmer ?

picassoman

Have to stop borrowing my neighbour's 2 stroke strimmer so went looking - was going to get a 4 stroke to avoid having to do the petrol mix i.e. one petrol can for strimmer and lawnmower.

One of the shops I went to only had 2 stroke in stock - said they are lighter than 4 stroke because no oil sump....to be honest I though 2 stroke was on the way out...

Anyone got advice as to whether to go for the 2 versus 4 other than weight ? - tbh I probably would prefer the lighter unit.

Would love some comments / advice.

- pm

Hi,

it depends on the area that you are going to be using it for... heavy constant use, then go for the heavier machine.. for general garden, then 2 stroke would be the way to go. I've a large garden area, 2 stroke strimmer does me fine... do need a separate petrol can for the specific mix, but they are only a few euro to purchase...

Don't know where I got that idea so I'll withdraw that statement :)

There was/is a proposal running around Brussels to ban them because of the increased pollution caused by the oil burned. Dont know where its at now.

The 2 stroke allows a much higher rpm so provide a much better power to weight ration

i got a honda stremmer,if you want anything that lasts and gives no trouble buy a honda,they only make 4 stroke anymore i belive..

I have an EFCO 2 stroke and it has served me very well for nearly 10 years.

I have a different coloured container marked MIXED for the strimmer. I pour the oil into the empty container at the filling station before I fill the petrol so I always know that the fuel is mixed and ready for use when I get home.

I have a different coloured container marked MIXED for the strimmer. I pour the oil into the empty container at the filling station before I fill the petrol so I always know that the fuel is mixed and ready for use when I get home.

+1 This is easy way to manage 2 stroke. You can easily get the little oil mix bottles with just the right amount for 5l can.
I paid 250 for a husvarna model a couple of years and it is very reliable.

I pour the oil into the empty container at the filling station before I fill the petrol so I always know that the fuel is mixed and ready for use when I get home.

Back