Other Pet Insurance - Exclusions

flossie

I am currently insured with Allianz for my cross-breed dog. There is an exclusion on the policy relating to diorreah which was put on as a result of taking him to the vet when i first got him with some runny deposits. This turned out to be as a result of changing foods for him. I was told that the exclusion would be removed at renewal provided that he hasn't had any other recurrences, which he hasn't.

Just been searching for competitive quotes and saw one form petinsurance.ie for €30 less than i am currently paying. I called to discuss whether this incident would be classified as a pre-existing condition, and was told that they would not insure ANY gastro-related problems for the life of the dog. I explained that i thought this was a bit unfair, given that there is a wide range of causes. Fair enough, excluding for one or two years even, but for life? Apparently th eunderwriters (Lloyds) won't budge on this.

So, back to Allianz i have gone....managed to get the quote down €20 which is fairly good. However, it doesn't cover for illness overseas apart from UK and Isle of Man.

Just thought i would raise this for those pet owners who may have ever taken the dog to the vets with a bit of a dodgy tummy! Check with your insurers!

Back