2011 insignia key

Westgolf

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2011 insignia and I'm very happy with it. My only little niggle is when I got the two keys from the dealer one key is slightly damaged.They are the type of key where you press a button for the metal portion of the key to pivot round to the open position and then insert it in the ignition. The issue is that the key is cracked just below the pivot point and is taped as a preventative measure. I will only be using this key as a spare so its not so bad. My query is can this be repaired by a locksmith e.g soldered, bonded etc or do I need to replace the key completely ?

Thanks

Westgolf

Locksmith should be able to cut a new blade for it and replace the damaged one.
Take your good key in as well so they can trace that one

How sure are you about this, aren't the car keys "coded" now? A friend had to get one last month and it cost a few hundred euro for a new one from the car manufacturer.

@ dirac, Thanks for that, appreciated.

@ noproblem, the coded buttons on the key work ok, its the "blade" part that is faulty, hopefully dirac is right.

@ sandals, independent locksmith first then failing that its the opel dealer.

Thanks everyone

westgolf

Ok, I understand. There's a great locksmith there beside you in Galway, I think their name is Colleran and there's very little they can't do when it comes to keys. They'll also tell you if it's going to be a problem with codes, etc and if so will have a way of getting that coded key for you. I'm not exactly certain where they are but think it's on the way out towards Nestors supermarket, or thereabouts.

Brendan Burgess please read

Ok, I understand. There's a great locksmith there beside you in Galway, I think their name is Colleran and there's very little they can't do when it comes to keys. They'll also tell you if it's going to be a problem with codes, etc and if so will have a way of getting that coded key for you. I'm not exactly certain where they are but think it's on the way out towards Nestors supermarket, or thereabouts.

If ever there was a concrete proof of the power and value of the AAM forum I have it now. As suggested by noproblem above I called into Colleran's locksmiths and explained my problem. After a look at the key and a bit of work I now have a new blade and pivot point on the key and its perfect. No issue with the coded portion of the key whatsoever, took approx 20 mins at most. Total cost €30, yes thirty euros.

Main dealer in galway quoted me €190 plus vat with a 4 to 5 day lead time. Need I say more ?

Can I please say a very public big thanks to noproblem

Westgolf

At last, redemption. You're welcome Westgolf, this forum has helped me a few times also even though I can be "bold" at times.

Back