Smart TVs - Anyone have one?

flossie

Am going in with the brother to get the parents a TV for Christmas. They are looking to get a 32" for the sitting room. Having a look around at the moment, seems I can get something that would do them for around €350 (LG).

However, I have seen a couple of these Smart TVs - Samsung ones with apps, internet access, WiFi etc. and have seen one for €500:

As they currently don't have a computer in the house (last couple have broke and mum just uses an iPod touch instead), i thought this could be a compromise. They use the internet for looking at news, facebook, booking tickets etc. and could potentially get the use out of one of thesem but i don't know anybody that has one.

Opinions please......

I don't know the first thing about the TV but my concern would be

What happens when one person wants to watch TV and the other wants to look on the computer?

If you're thinking of buying from pixmania, do some research. There are a fair number of horror stories posted on various message boards.

I know, i have had both positive and negative experiences myself, but often use the website to browse things and get ideas :)

DB - good point. I am guessing that as the mother wears the trousers it would be her final say ;)

I have 2 samsung Smart TV's 32 and 40. I'm very happy with them.
Things to consider though are:
1 You might need to buy a wifi dongle as only the more expensive sets have WIFI built in.
2 The web app is "Clunky" but ok for a leisurely browse, you can use a Samsung remote app on the Ipod to access the web, this will give you a full qwerty keyboard.
3 If there are any problems with analogue reception it will become very obvious on these Sets. So its best with Digital.
4 With Picture in Picture you can browse web and watch tv/listen to radio at the same time.

Sony TV has always been my favorite.Investing in sony would be a better Investment.

Back