Do I need a new well pump?

goosebump

I have my own well. The pump delivers water in to a rubber bladder tank, which provides pressure to the house.

Recently, the cold water pressure dropped quite a bit. Its still usable, but definitely lower than it should be.

The local water guy came and tested the system, and told me I need new pressure tank. The existing one was about 4 years old.

He came along a fitted a new tank, but the problem was resolved. The pressure in the house was still low.

He then deduced that the problem was the well pump, which because we have a very deep well, he estimated would cost €1500 to replace. The existing pump is at least 10 years old (installed by previous owner, now sure when).

I don't really understand this. My understanding is that the pressure tank provides pressure, not the well pump ie I fill the bladder with air, water flows in from the pump, compressing the air until the pump cuts out, I turn on the tap and the compressed air forces the water out.

The well pump is delivering water into the tank, so I don't understand how the well pump can be the issue. I am little bit dubious about the guys advice, given that he wasn't able to work out that the pressure tank was working fine in the first place.

I would have thought that once the well pump can deliver water into the pressure tank, that achieving pressure is just a matter of getting the air pressure in the tank slightly lower than the cut off pressure for the pump?

Advice?

The pump is what provides the pressure for the water, not the bladder.
The only energy source here is the elec to the pump which pumps the water into the bladder and cuts out when the air is compressed to whatever the cut out pressure is set at.
The pump seals may be worn to the extent that the pump cannot keep the pressure high enough to fully compress the bladder.
there is sometimes a solenoid valve in the pump that can get blocked with dirt, especially if there is corrosion with galvo or iron fittings with harsh water.
I had a pair of galvo/rubber flexi's on a pressure pump and the flow rate went to hell. was told I needed a new pump, took off the flexi's to find them completely choked with rust
Have you a pressure gauge on the bladder?
The other possibility is a leak somewhere between the pump and bladder

The pump is what provides the pressure for the water, not the bladder.
The only energy source here is the elec to the pump which pumps the water into the bladder and cuts out when the air is compressed to whatever the cut out pressure is set at.
The pump seals may be worn to the extent that the pump cannot keep the pressure high enough to fully compress the bladder.
there is sometimes a solenoid valve in the pump that can get blocked with dirt, especially if there is corrosion with galvo or iron fittings with harsh water.
I had a pair of galvo/rubber flexi's on a pressure pump and the flow rate went to hell. was told I needed a new pump, took off the flexi's to find them completely choked with rust
Have you a pressure gauge on the bladder?
The other possibility is a leak somewhere between the pump and bladder

So what is the function of the pressure tank? To provide instant pressure?

The air is getting compressed a little at least. There greater pressure when the tap is turned on, which then diminishes. I guess that means the pump can compress the air a little, but not enough. Can't understand why the water guy couldn't figure this out without putting on a new pressure tank.

We can live with the pressure as is now, but I guess its going to get worse. Thing it might be easier/cheaper to go on the local Group Scheme. My neighbour is a new build and is on it, and he's only 50 metres away.

The bladder in part is to stop the pump cycling all the time there is a demand for even the smallest bit of water
Cant help with rest :(

Back