Money to move into new home query?

random10

Just wondering how other people do it? We've just gone sale agreed on a house 295k, we had savings of 50k, so 29,500 on 10% of mortgage leaves 20 k, we've to pay 5,500 solicitor/stamp duty which leaves 14k. We have no furniture, kitchen, flooring, fireplace, getting stressed thinking about it,

Do other people have way more money saved or do they get a loan or how do you manage ?

Do it the old fashioned way. Beg, borrow or steal! We spent 5 years sitting on my parents in laws sofa and armchairs...if you are near Ikea you would get a full house furnished for about €10,000 including a kitchen.

Do you think so, getting 3 quotes for kitchens at the minute and have no idea what they'll come back with

I would have loved having 14k in the bank when moving into my house. While mine was an established house, the only piece of furniture I owned was a mattress. It was the mattress on the floor for several months until I got a bed, a friend gave me a lounge suite for free and I picked up a coffee table in Ikea for 30e. I still don't have a kitchen table/chairs, bedside tables etc etc. The rug on my sitting room floor is a left over scrap of carpet from when I got the bedroom re-carpeted. It's amazing what you can get by without or that you can pick up really cheaply - try donedeal, various facebook pages etc. My tv came from done deal and was 60e and is perfect...I've seen people giving away the big back tvs on facebook pages. I heard of one person who took a door off the hinges and turned that into a kitchen table until they got on...you just need to be inventive and not worry about having things perfect weeks after moving in.

Go into Ikea and sit with one of the kitchen planners. they will be able to design you a kitchen and give you an exact price.

Depending on size of property I'm sure it'll be achievable but you need to shop around and get a few price comparisons on flooring etc and then barter on the best offer..it's amazing how just being slightly cheeky and asking for companies to price match or beat quotes will save you cash..also not sure your view on second hand items but eBay sometimes has great virtually new items which may be local and a bargain ..that's what I did and got some great savings on next to new items.all the best in your search

which leaves 14k. We have no furniture, kitchen, flooring, fireplace, getting stressed thinking about it,

Do other people have way more money saved or do they get a loan or how do you manage ?

My goodness you have 14K and you're stressed. You should have seen the kitchen we put up with in our first house. In those days, so long ago, there used to be the small adds. I can remember my bargains still, the dark green belling oven that one hob didn't work on and the grill door fixed with a latch, I bought it like that in the back garage of someone for 40 IEP. The owner hooked it up to the light switch to prove it worked.

Like others my first bed in the new house was a mattress on the floor, but I had a cunning plan to make money so I 'invested' a 'lot' in about 7 beds, put my OH in the garage for the summer, I lived with family helping to run a business and made a packet on summer lettings. My OH was not and still is not impressed with that.

Random10 you need to prioritise what is important. Has the house a kitchen now? Make a list of what you absolutely need and post on here. I wish the likes of Ikea existed for me. I know for example that they have a starter kit box in the kitchen section which has all the pots/pans/cutlery etc.

First decide what you need (usually kitchen, bathroom and somewhere to sleep). We got a lot of furniture from my grandmother (she had died 2 years before hand) and a cooker and washing machine. See if anyone in your family is replacing a working washing machine/cooker/etc. etc. and take the old one. You should be able to pick up an old CRT television for free, as people are replaceing them with the flat screens, and you should be able to pick up a couch and chairs for free (no-one will buy them second hand) I think we got one on jumbletown.ie, but it was years ago. We didn't get carpets down for 18 months after moving into the house, but we sealed the concrete floors with watered down polybond to stop dust rising.

The advantage of doing this, is that because your furniture etc. etc. is partly second hand, it doesn't all wear out at the same time (this can be a problem particularly with white goods in a kitchen) so you aren't faced with replacing everything together about 10 years down the line, and it also means you have something to keep you going for now and can save up to get the (possibly) more expensive item, instead of just grabbing the cheapest thing you can get because you have the whole house to do together.

Congrats on getting the house!

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Last edited:
Random10 you need to prioritise what is important. Has the house a kitchen now? Make a list of what you absolutely need and post on here. I wish the likes of Ikea existed for me. I know for example that they have a starter kit box in the kitchen section which has all the pots/pans/cutlery etc.
+1! Always amused me in the Tiger era where expectation for moving into new home was top of the range kitchen/furnishing and the new car sitting in the driveway. Great if you can afford it. Myself & the missus existed for our first couple of years on donated furniture and a portable TV sitting on a packing case. "Love" kept us comfortable!!
Seriously, you need to temper upor aspiratons to within your budget and over the years build up the quality stuff as you can afford it!

Prioritise and prioritise properly, divide up NEED and WANT. For every purchase ask yourself, do I need this or is this a want. A brand spanking new corner sofa is a want, a need is something for yourselves and any visitors to sit on. A solid oak table with six matching chairs is a want, what you need is something to serve meals on. A shiny new bathroom set and full tiling is a want, a need is a functional toilet, a wash basin and either a bath or a shower. If it is a second hand house, use whatever is already there unless it is actually broken and non-functional, a 30 year old avocado-green suite that is still working will continue working for another year and won't cost you dearly when you are tight for cash, you can change it later when you have settled into a more stable spending pattern.

The one thing I would absolutely advise spending good money on now is a decent mattress. Bad mattress = poor quality sleep and given you will always spend at least a quarter of your time in your bed (and that is short-changing yourself, 6 hours sleep is too little) it is the one thing that I would not stint on.

In fact the cheaper and more second hand you go at first for most things the better. In a year's time, all things being equal, you will be in a better position to afford to do up a room with new furniture to your own taste, you will be able to buy at a less frenzied pace.

terrysgirl33 mentioned jumbletown.ie - definitely worth looking at - you never know what you might pick up for the bargain basement price of €0 and the effort of picking it up yourself.

Another one to check out is freecycle
(an international freecycle website though it isn't as big in Ireland as other places because jumbletown had already cornered the freecycle market)

Also check out www.donedeal.ie - not free cycle but you'd be amazed at some of the things that people don't need and want to sell.

Basically price everything and price it again, bargain hard and ask yourself - do you actually need it or do you just want it. Enjoy!

I am more than happy to beg, borrow and done deal, we have no kitchen and no floor and no fire/stove so those and a bed and I'd be happy.

I totally agree with Socrates on a new good mattress being really important.

Random10 how much do you think a kitchen will cost you? You can do with out a fire for now. YOu've listed 3 things. For 14K you should be able to get a really decent kitchen, I've put in kitchens for a lot less in Irealand but I guess this is your forever home so you want something better than what I'd put up with in my starter home . I recommend tiles for the kitchen floor, but if money is tight, go with cheap lino for now. Then when you've saved up you go with the superdedooper tiles if you want later.

Do you need flooring anywhere else?

Some people mentioned Ikea for kitchens, don't see what's wrong with good kitchen fitters, they do all the work, measurements, ideas and their responsible for everything to fit properly. Yourown needs and wants should also come into play, but most kitchens are logically based around a triangle of sink, cooker and fridge, get that right and you're half way there.

Is it a new house?

IKEA will most likely come in cheaper than a kitchen fitter. That was my experience. Well if you like wooden or pine then maybe a kitchen fitter. If you are good on the computer with the IKEA 3D planner you can design it and price it up from home. Also with IKEA you can add extra units and wall cupboards later. If you go IKEA route get your own fitter to put it in would save money.
Measure your floors and start pricing laminate or tiles or whatever you are thinking of. Once you have the sq yards you can get an estimate of cost.
Things like Tiling can be expensive. The labour can be fierce expensive.
A stove will be around 400 for a matt finish and 800 for an enamel finish (stanley). Installation around 250 on top of that.
If you have to lift floor tiles that'll be extra.
If you have electrics and stuff to do - like spots in the kitchen, moving sockets for the new kitchen, wiring in the new hob and so forth you need an electrian quote for that. Likewise plumber to put in appliance if you have a new sink and dishwasher.
Painting an entire house inside may cost around 1k excluding paint which might be another 400.
Create a simple spreadsheet in Excel and write down everything you can think of and put as accurate a cost as you can beside it.

Back