Central Bank Staff to get one extra day off after getting 85% on Balanced Scrore Card

To be fair, some of those staff work 32.5 or even 35 hour weeks. It's not easy. I hear that things are so busy in there that they still have a tea trolley that goes around the offices bringing the busy bees their tea.

To be fair, some of those staff work 32.5 or even 35 hour weeks. It's not easy. I hear that things are so busy in there that they still have a tea trolley that goes around the offices bringing the busy bees their tea.

I heard that one as well. Haddington Rd and Croke Park sure have rung the changes in the PS/CS....world class they are

They tried that in my last place of work but we vetoed it as it would have meant working at our desks rather than taking our two 15 minute breaks in the designated coffee area !:)

they still have a tea trolley that goes around the offices bringing the busy bees their tea.

I used to work for an audit firm in England and a number of the clients we worked with had this tea trolley culture.

In my opinion it was used entirely as a marker of social class. Some people bring tea, some people have tea brought.

I understand that when Irish Army officers attend external meetings rather than use public transport or a private car they bring an army driver (servant).

Good to see that culture alive and well in the public service.

I used to work for an audit firm in England and a number of the clients we worked with had this tea trolley culture.

In my opinion it was used entirely as a marker of social class. Some people bring tea, some people have tea brought.

I understand that when Irish Army officers attend external meetings rather than use public transport or a private car they bring an army driver (servant).

Good to see that culture alive and well in the public service.

Surely in the case of the Central Bank such tea trolley service is a time saving exercise in that staff continue to work at their desks.

As I posted above when I worked in the Bank of Ireland we resisted the introduction of such a service as it would have increased our working week from 32.5 hours to 35 hours by dint of the fact that we would not have been able to avail of the two 15 minute breaks away from our desks .

Surely in the case of the Central Bank such tea trolley service is a time saving exercise in that staff continue to work at their desks.

As I posted above when I worked in the Bank of Ireland we resisted the introduction of such a service as it would have increased our working week from 32.5 hours to 35 hours by dint of the fact that we would not have been able to avail of the two 15 minute breaks away from our desks .

I'd guess that it's more a relic of the past than a time saving excercise

I thought you were joking :(

I thought you were joking :(

No , absolutely not !

When I joined the Bank many years ago due to practice & precedence I received an hour for lunch & two 15 minute breaks daily.

The standard working day then was then 9.30 to 5.45 but that was changed to 9.30 to 5.30 after an agreement with the Union some 10 years ago.

Granted there were several occasions where overtime was worked but it was recorded & paid for in addition a tea allowance was provided.

Some years ago our area was subsumed into a larger relatively autonomous area of the Bank where Union density was low & they mooted the idea of a tea trolley but withdrew after the practice & precedence argument was upheld.

My wife continues to work in a Bank & enjoys the same terms still.

ah, 'Precedence'. That's the 1st word a wannabe Union official learns in Liberty Hall school room 101.

No , absolutely not !

When I joined the Bank many years ago due to practice & precedence I received an hour for lunch & two 15 minute breaks daily.

The standard working day then was then 9.30 to 5.45 but that was changed to 9.30 to 5.30 after an agreement with the Union some 10 years ago.

Granted there were several occasions where overtime was worked but it was recorded & paid for in addition a tea allowance was provided.

Some years ago our area was subsumed into a larger relatively autonomous area of the Bank where Union density was low & they mooted the idea of a tea trolley but withdrew after the practice & precedence argument was upheld.

My wife continues to work in a Bank & enjoys the same terms still.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, that's depressing...

When we first arrived here, my hours changed from
8 - 4:30 with a 45 minute lunch break
to
9 - 5 with an hour lunch and a 15 minute tea break.

Anyone want to guess which sector that was in?

When we first arrived here, my hours changed from
8 - 4:30 with a 45 minute lunch break
to
9 - 5 with an hour lunch and a 15 minute tea break.

Anyone want to guess which sector that was in?

8 to 4.30 with no tea breaks & a 45 minute lunch !

Only a guess , were you a galley slave ?:)

...this tea trolley culture.

What an odd attitude. Those of us who work in service industries have no difficulty with doing things for other people. I don't for a moment feel that the people I serve have any sort of class advantage over me.

Plus, I suspect the person bringing the teas around wouldn't want class warriors talking him or her out of a job!

Hi Deise,

I did some work for BOI a number of years ago and could never figure out how the place made any money with the carry on I witnessed. Suppose I know now that they weren't making money after all!! It was a bit sad though to be fair on some. I remember working with a really talented lady who had bought shares every year (there was a deal for permies where they could buy shares out of gross pay, hold them for 3 or 4 years without paying income tax) and ended up with very little. The other thing I found strange was that the canteen charged for tea and coffee. There were some really good people I worked with though....the banks were early adopters of IT and it shows...some of the strongest people I worked with were from the banks. An awe flu lot of dossiers too though. Still....at least we're not paying defined benefit pensions for them though, are we???

Hi firefly ,
I am a bit confused , the BOI pension scheme continues to operate as a a defined benefit scheme ( thankfully ! ) although closed to new entrants.

BOI was always prosperous but unfortunately was brought to it's knees by by chasing the Anglo model ( pressurised to do so by the larger shareholders it must be said ) allied to a sense of rabid greed promoted by the hugely competive bonus driven culture of the entire Irish Banking system at the time .

It really was a great place to work until the 1992 strike - the result of which introduced a hugely adversarial element to IR relations.

Back