Martin Callinan resigns

cremeegg

Finally he did something right.

He hadn't the competence to deal with the penalty points issue when it first arose.

He hadn't the manners to speak politely about the whistleblowers before the PAC.

He hadn't the courage either to defend his position or to admit he was wrong and apologise.

And about time...
Lets hope Shatter goes with him...

Shatter will certainly be damaged by the fact that he backed him to the hilt... And to a lesser extent Enda..

Simon and Leo come out of this smelling of roses...

Shatter next , I hope.

If the government lived up to its pre-election pledges of openness and transparancy Callinan would have been sacked along with Shatter.

Shatter at the very least should now resign as the longer he hangs on the credibility of the government will sink further into the mire.

It was highly revealing that it took a Minister for Transport to step out of line with the government PR spin and speak the truth

And about time...
Lets hope Shatter goes with him...

Shatter will certainly be damaged by the fact that he backed him to the hilt... And to a lesser extent Enda..

Simon and Leo come out of this smelling of roses...

Hmmm, well I wouldn't want to be defending Shatter too much, but the Minister can largely only go on what he is told by Senior Officials, at least on record. He's been careful enough that he's caveated most of his statements by clearly saying it is based on what Callinan has told him.

That's not a defence of Shatter, there are areas he failed in with regards to ministerial powers available to him, but he followed the protocol of Gardai investigating their own and the conclusions of Callinan. Once it became clear there was an issue with Callinan, he's gone.

It's CYA politics, but Callinan failed and has (though on his own, probably generous terms) been held accountable.

An interesting aside to the issue, which states:

"Today's resignation of Ireland's police chief, Martin Callinan, is a vindication of the reporting of Gemma O'Doherty, a journalist fired by the Irish Independent for her pursuit of the story that has led to his departure.As I reported in September last year, O'Doherty was made compulsorily redundant by the paper after door-stepping Callinan, the Garda commissioner.

But Stephen Rae, editor-in-chief of the Dublin-based Independent titles (and a former editor of the Garda Review magazine), was furious with O'Doherty. He called her a "rogue reporter" for approaching Callinan without permission

In September last year, the London-based Irish Post revealed that a car registered to Rae had had penalty points wiped in 2009."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/mar/25/irish-independent-ireland

He had to go but it's a shame to see a 40 year career end like this. He could have walked last year but stayed on when asked. Bet he regrets that! Spotlight will be shining brightly on Shatter now. Even though I think there is more pressure on Labour now to prove they aren't just FG's patsies and demand Shatter withdraws his comments. The way they rowed in with criticism once Leo had stuck his neck out was funny.

Shatter needs to go.

Not alone that but it reflects so badly on Kenny and the Labour party.

Leo V at least has some moral courage.

Shatter needs to go.

Not alone that but it reflects so badly on Kenny and the Labour party.

Leo V at least has some moral courage.

I am surprised that you think Shatter should resign. ;)

An interesting aside to the issue, which states:

"Today's resignation of Ireland's police chief, Martin Callinan, is a vindication of the reporting of Gemma O'Doherty, a journalist fired by the Irish Independent for her pursuit of the story that has led to his departure.As I reported in September last year, O'Doherty was made compulsorily redundant by the paper after door-stepping Callinan, the Garda commissioner.

But Stephen Rae, editor-in-chief of the Dublin-based Independent titles (and a former editor of the Garda Review magazine), was furious with O'Doherty. He called her a "rogue reporter" for approaching Callinan without permission

In September last year, the London-based Irish Post revealed that a car registered to Rae had had penalty points wiped in 2009."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2014/mar/25/irish-independent-ireland

Thanks for that link. We really are only aware of a tiny part of what goes on in the world.

He had to go but it's a shame to see a 40 year career end like this.

:rolleyes: Some people still wont hear a bad word said about Haughey, and down here in the south east some think Bishop Comiskey was a great fellow. Only in Ireland ! Callinan and Shatter should have gone last year after it emerged that Shatter used confidential information supplied by Callinan, a clear abuse of their positions imo, about a political opponent,

:rolleyes: Some people still wont hear a bad word said about Haughey, and down here in the south east some think Bishop Comiskey was a great fellow. Only in Ireland ! Callinan and Shatter should have gone last year after it emerged that Shatter used confidential information supplied by Callinan, a clear abuse of their positions imo, about a political opponent,

:confused::confused::confused:

There is no conflict between saying someone should resign and yet feeling sympathy that a long career had to end in this way. Especially when it didn't have to end like this. And especially when he could have retired last year but stayed on when asked by the Minister (who is still in his job). I am sure that during his 40 years as a Guard he did some good and his offence now, while a resigning offence doesn't mean that we should write off his entire contribution.

His position became untenable because of the way he reacted to this whole saga. He was so blinded to the Gardai that he couldn't see their shortcomings. Hardly a hanging offence especially when it wasn't up to him to legislate for police supervision.

There is no conflict between saying someone should resign and yet feeling sympathy that a long career had to end in this way. Especially when it didn't have to end like this. And especially when he could have retired last year but stayed on when asked by the Minister (who is still in his job). I am sure that during his 40 years as a Guard he did some good and his offence now, while a resigning offence doesn't mean that we should write off his entire contribution.

It also makes you wonder what other shenanigans he got up to over the last 40 years and ensures that he won't finish with a squeaky-clean record, as he shouldn't.

I think that this government will stand by Shatter - as they stand behind Hogan & Reilly.

I feel that Labour pressed the self destruct button over the primary health care clinics.

About time we have proper scrutiny into the Gardai and other organs of state.

I'm obviously very naïve. I am getting very used to institutions telling me they are recording my phone call for "training" purposes. I would fully expect that if I phoned the Gardai, especially, my phone call would be recorded.:(

I'm obviously very naïve. I am getting very used to institutions telling me they are recording my phone call for "training" purposes. I would fully expect that if I phoned the Gardai, especially, my phone call would be recorded.:(

My thoughts exactly!! Unless they were taping suspects calls?? I think the Government are looking at deflecting attention. When they say it has been happening for years, they mean it is FF's fault.

My thoughts exactly!! Unless they were taping suspects calls?? I think the Government are looking at deflecting attention. When they say it has been happening for years, they mean it is FF's fault.
I simply don't get it. If I phone the Gardaí I would expect that s/he would at least jot down a note of what I had to say, i.e. s/he would "record" it. The fact that this recording is done by technology is surely a good thing. Now bugging my house, I can see that there is something not quite right about that.

And another thing. Maybe it's because in the country that I was brought up in "shoot to kill", aiding and abetting sectarian murder gangs and perverting the course of justice were the general order of the misdemeanours of the guardians of the law, but I just can't get excited by the laxity in our penalty points system.

Note how the shinners are right back in their comfort zone, bashing the police.

Mick Wallace on RTE has just explained it. Apparently, and this rings true, clever and unscrupulous lawyers will be able to get criminals off on a technical breach - you have to give consent to a recording. The law's an ass:mad:

Back