Banning smoking tobacco in cars with kids.

The government can regulate to some extent your behaviour in a car, hence the proposed ban. It's not so easy to control behaviour in a private dwelling. If it were possible to ban smoking indoors with children present I wouldn't object.

From what I understand this is one of a range of measures aimed at denormalising smoking and making Ireland 'tobacco-free' by 2025. The other big initiative will be the proposed standardized or plain package - legislation being drafted currently according to someone on the radio this morning.

I agree with it.

Why would any parent want to smoke in the presence of their children? I doubt any child likes either the experience or the smell or the attending likely illnesses regarding second-hand smoke.

Marion

Don't agree with it and don't smoke. Nanny state gone mad. Haven't the gardai enough to do??

I have no problem with it but I have to say it is depressing to think that the State has to intervene to stop people smoking in their cars when there are kids with them.

just like driving while using a mobile phone, it will never be fully enforceable. but sure it gives the nanny state supporters else to bleat on about!

This whole Nanny State thing is a bit over the top isn't it ?

Can people not see that these parents are making a conscious decision to damage their children's long term health ? They obviously aren't intelligent enough to see that as a problem, so I say fair play to the State in attempting to stop them from damaging their children's health and removing smoking from mainstream society.

Remember that these children don't have a choice or a voice in stopping their parents smoking in their presence.

Think back 10 years to all the whinging about the Smoking Ban in public places - I submit that it has been a glorious success and everyone has benefited from the ban.

just like driving while using a mobile phone, it will never be fully enforceable. but sure it gives the nanny state supporters else to bleat on about!

Well if people stopped acting like idiots, then we wouldn't need to be nannied. I would love to live somewhere that didn't need laws for things like drink driving, speeding etc because people have enough cop on not to do it. That's not the case. Just like you would think that people would know not to smoke in enclosed spaces with their children. I guess that is asking too much as well.

I have no problem with it but I have to say it is depressing to think that the State has to intervene to stop people smoking in their cars when there are kids with them.

I wonder just how big a problem it is, I rarely see anyone doing it.

It's been mooted in Europe for a while, so this is probably just to get in there first and appear progressive, but I really think that society has made smoking in a car with kids unacceptable and we're down to the very small percentage of the population who are just ignorant.

I personally think it's a disgrace, I need the kids to light the smoke for me while I'm driving as I can't drive, talk on the phone and light a cig, I'm not Doc Oc.

I personally think it's a disgrace, I need the kids to light the smoke for me while I'm driving as I can't drive, talk on the phone and light a cig, I'm not Doc Oc.

Just let one of your kids drive. My 7 year old loves it.

It's pretty big - same way as Mobile Phone use while driving is huge.

Main reason I notice it so much is that I commute on a motorbike and have the opportunity to overtake lots of cars daily - unbelievable what people do while driving.

It's pretty big - same way as Mobile Phone use while driving is huge.

Main reason I notice it so much is that I commute on a motorbike and have the opportunity to overtake lots of cars daily - unbelievable what people do while driving.

You should take a picture of them with your mobile while you are overtaking them and send it to the Gardai - that'll learn them.

You can't legislate for stupidity, well you can, but it won't work. AGS have enough to be doing besides dealing with bad parents parenting.

Education and not legislation is path we should go down. Common sense should never have to be written into law.

You can't legislate for stupidity, well you can, but it won't work. AGS have enough to be doing besides dealing with bad parents parenting.

Education and not legislation is path we should go down. Common sense should never have to be written into law.

I agree - but unfortunately years of education just hasn't gotten through.

You should take a picture of them with your mobile while you are overtaking them and send it to the Gardai - that'll learn them.

Tempting - I've been meaning to get a Helmet Cam for the past while, ever since I was nearly put under an artic by a woman texting and smoking at same time as drifting into my lane - I was parallel to her passenger door and she only realised where she was in my lane when I kicked her door. I was so close I could nearly read her text messages.

AGS have enough to be doing besides dealing with bad parents parenting.

Reilly on the news last night responded to the enforcement question by saying that while the Gardai would be capable of enforcing it, they wouldn't have to as "peer pressure from other drivers who look across and see a kid in a car and an adult smoking", and then added "they're not going to tolerate that."

So I can only assume the minister is proposing 'non-smoking on front of kids drivers' are going to turn vigilante and punish errant drivers appropriately.

Back