Willie O'Dea?, is this the best FF can do??

Betsy Og

Willie is still being rolled out on Primetime. It is so hard to listen to him picking holes in economic progress, given the utter shambles that he and t'lads delivered us.

Whatever hope they have of getting votes they'd better go "New FF" on it.

Until FF get shot of both him and Martin then nothing has really changed in FF.Martin should never have been let take up the leadership given his govt lost Irish sovereignty,something I will forever consider as a form of treason.
Had FF any decency they should have wound up the party there and then,the thoughts of them planning 2016 Easter rising celebrations makes me sick.

Good auld Willie.....lying back in the chair last night, arm thrown over the back of it. Not a care in the world.
And sure the last Govt made a few mistakes, which by the way, they've apologised for...but they were pure unlucky in that a world class financial crisis happened at the same time. And the likes of Poland, Greece and Spain have got knocked down by that too...and FF weren't in power in those countries.

In fairness to FF, their spin doctors gave them the script about 3 years ago and they're sticking to it...everyone one of them has the same spiel, right down to those at grass roots.
The only bit Willie missed last night was Lehmans...FF love to say how they were'nt in charge of Lehmans when it went under, and thats what really caused the mess that Ireland find's itself in today

Last edited:
The Central bank, Regulator and Dept Of Finance people were like the walking dead.

A lot of blame for the Irish economic mess has got to go to local govt.

Unfortunately I think FF will make big gains in the local elections..
Me too. I last voted FF in 2002; switched to FG thereafter. I won't be voting FG again so I'm faced with the dilemma of either voting FF or spoiling my vote in future elections. It's a pity Martin and a few others survived the FF backlash in the last election. FF should have regrouped as New FF with Michael McGrath as leader and the remnants of the old FF leadership confined to their own constituencies.

It's a pity Martin and a few others survived the FF backlash in the last election. FF should have regrouped as New FF with Michael McGrath as leader and the remnants of the old FF leadership confined to their own constituencies.

Its like going in for an operation to remove cancer only for the surgeon to leave a good bit of it behind...what do you reckon the patients outlook will be?

The Central bank, Regulator and Dept Of Finance people were like the walking dead.

A lot of blame for the Irish economic mess has got to go to local govt.

Because local govt is responsible for - economic policy (no), financial regulation (no), planning (no, not since FF gave all power to An Bord)

How exactly did local govt cause our economic mess?

Because local govt is responsible for - economic policy (no), financial regulation (no), planning (no, not since FF gave all power to An Bord)[/QUOTE

Planning, Zoning etc

John Gormley wanted to investigate a number of Councils - shelved by FG.

FG and Labour wanted less tax and more spending.

]

Because local govt is responsible for - economic policy (no), financial regulation (no), planning (no, not since FF gave all power to An Bord)[/QUOTE

Planning, Zoning etc

]

Indeed. FF were alone in local Government in fighting against over development and corrupt planning practices....Oh wait that doesn't sound right.....

Because local govt is responsible for - economic policy (no), financial regulation (no), planning (no, not since FF gave all power to An Bord)

Planning, Zoning etc

Councils had very little control over planning. If they didn't do what the developers wanted, the developers appealed to the FF-appointed An Bord Pleanala who overruled the Council.

Gormley's investigations into Councils weren't shelved. They were completed.

Councils had very little control over planning. .

County and City Development plans.

Zoning from Agricultural to Industrial.

Giving out planning permissions like confetti.

The vast majority of these councils were not in control of FF during the celtic tiger era.

County and City Development plans.

Zoning from Agricultural to Industrial.

Giving out planning permissions like confetti.

The vast majority of these councils were not in control of FF during the celtic tiger era.

Some were in FF control and some weren't - either way, the Councils were operating under the legislation set out by the FF-17-year-govt, implementing the policies set out by the FF 17-year-govt under the guidelines set out by the FF 17-year-govt.

And when they turned down planning permission, the developers appealed to An Bord Pleanala, where the board members appointed by the FF 17-year-govt gave them the green light.

Don't try to rewrite history.

An Bord Pleanala? Is there evidence that there was political influence on them?

The economic callapse was a result of many factors - banks, govt, public sector, social partners, local govt were all without blame.

Back