Gareth Brooks Concert

dewdrop

Is the rapid sale of 240000 tickets and demand for more an indication that the recession must be on the wane?

... or that pensioners haven't been that hard-hit after all. :D

Love it!!!! Goy tickets and it will be the first concert me and my husband will have gone to together. Would not be a fan myself but am dusting off my check chirt and cowboy boots and practising "friends in low places".

The surprising aspect of the people in the queues that i saw was the large number of young people which i find it hard to understand

The surprising aspect of the people in the queues that i saw was the large number of young people which i find it hard to understand

They were getting tickets for their granny. Young people are great that way.

They're probably hoping that he plays lots of his new stuff, and leave the back catalogue stuff for another time.

Is ticket touting illegal in this country? I thought it was. And yet the online sites are full of tickets at several times the face value since mid morning.

It amazes and bothers me in equal measure that Roger Waters only sold 35,000 tickets for his show in the Aviva last year.

Which in my 27 years of gig going was the best outdoor gig this country has ever seen.

Yet, Garth Brooks sells out 3 nights in Croke Park in record time?

I don’t think it indicates anything other than in Ireland there is still a large constituency for the ‘singing cowboy’, like Gene Autry, Singin' Sandy Saunders, Roy Rodgers and Trigger.

[And it’s Garth not Gareth.]

I have a vague notion that its a statement that the nation wants to have fun. Garth has a few great songs, gives the impression he's a nice guy and people seemed to enjoy it last time he was here.

So its nostalgia & feel good seeking...having a 'hoot' :eek:... with a risk of "we love him cos we're now known as his biggest fans in the world ever" - a factor which we'll refer to as 'the David Gray factor'.

I'm not expecting a massive resurgence of line dancing& jiving (beyond its currently apparently healthy state) and God between us and that country 'n' Irish drivel !!!!

I'd be willing to bet that most of the audience are not country fans beyond this guy, maybe Johnny Cash and a few of the greatest country hits like Country Roads. So fair play to the astounding number of ticket buyers, & if I was given a free ticket I might even go.

Is ticket touting illegal in this country? I thought it was. And yet the online sites are full of tickets at several times the face value since mid morning.

Nothing illegal about it.

It is called the law of supply and demand. Whilst the demand is there, there will always be a supply.

Plenty of people see these concerts as a business opportunity to make money. A cursory look at donedeal will show this.

I have a vague notion that its a statement that the nation wants to have fun. Garth has a few great songs, gives the impression he's a nice guy and people seemed to enjoy it last time he was here.
I met him in Eddy Rockets in Donnybrook one night a long time ago. He was there with his kid (kids?) on the way back from a show. One of them wanted a "proper" burger and the bus driver suggested they stop there (their, or they're ;)).
We had no idea he was in there when we went in. Everyone was asked to leave him alone while his group ate but he was very nice to everyone afterwards. When the father of a young girl went outside and asked for an autograph for here because she was too shy to say hello Brooks came back into the restaurant and crouched down to chat to her. It was very late and I'm sure he was exhausted and I'm sure he meets fans every day but he really seemed to care and was a total gentleman.

It amazes and bothers me in equal measure that Roger Waters only sold 35,000 tickets for his show in the Aviva last year.
Which in my 27 years of gig going was the best outdoor gig this country has ever seen.
Yet, Garth Brooks sells out 3 nights in Croke Park in record time?

I don’t think it indicates anything other than in Ireland there is still a large constituency for the ‘singing cowboy’, like Gene Autry, Singin' Sandy Saunders, Roy Rodgers and Trigger.

[And it’s Garth not Gareth.]

Musical snobbery is alive and well I see.

No. It’s called having taste, discernment and critical ability. (Although I’d make an exception for Martina McBride.)

Sounds snobby to me. What makes you think your taste or critical ability is better than someone going to a Garth Brooks concert.

Back