Motor car park bump

valparaiso

A recent incident involved my partner bumping their car into another car in a car park. No question of liability.
The damage is minimal to the other car, however the owner insists on getting the work done with their friend's workshop (a small operation in a back street shop). Cost €350.
They also got a quote from a main dealer on the High street. - €351. They want to go with the friend but my partner is claiming that the price is too high considering the nature of the two businesses coming in with the same quote.
What can one do?

Am I correct that there is €1 difference

If the price is the same I would let them use who ever they want. Why would it matter to you who they use.

In all fairness your partner will have caused them inconvenience by having to get this done and possible devalued their car as it is repaired. now you want to tell them were to get it fixed.

Do you know someone who will do it cheaper?

Thanks Dinny, am I right in thinking that no matter what the price it should be paid in your opinion?
My point is that a back street op has fewer overheads and should be cheaper

No perhaps I didn't make myself clear,

I think if they have given you two quotes one of which is from a main dealer (which is the bench mark) that are the same why should it mater to you who they give the business to.

They are already probably already out of pocket driving to two places to get it valued with fuel and time

I would insist on an invoice and pay by cheque.

they're under no obligation to provide an invoice. If this were a claim through their insurance policy they could just take the money and not get the repair work completed. Its not up to the person who damaged the vehicle to ensure the work is carried out. They are just obliged to put them back in the same position as before the accident.

Clarification

I'll try to make my point clearer.

This is about what is fair and reasonable.

I'm saying that the back street garage is overcharging because they know the client. If they said €699 or any arbitrary sum, surely one is entitled to query it?

Is my partner within their rights to insist on their own valuation?

No. You have no entitlement whatsoever to query it. You are not the wronged party here. You cannot make them go to someone of your choosing.

No your partner is not within their rights to insist on his own valuation. Even if you put it through your insurance company they wouldnt send an assessor out for that type of money.

Just a minute.

you infer then that a quote of, for example, €1495 should be paid for a small scratch just because the liability is yours?

Not inferring. I'm telling you as a fact.

However at €1,495 if you were sceptical of the estimate I would suggest it goes through your insurance. They would assess the claim and may dispute it based on the calculations of the estimate if they thought it was too hefty.

This is pure semantics and sour grapes on your part OP. The person your partner hit and inconvenienced, has got a quote from a main dealer at €351. So that's what the cost to do the job is. As I've said before, its irrelevant what garage he uses. Its also irrelevant whether he gets the car repaired. If he wants to drive around a damaged car and trouser the €350 that is his call. Not yours!

I think at €350 you've done well. My OH had a similar incident recently , small bump in a car park and entirely her fault, and it's costing well north of 1k to repair

Money being paid over tomorrow.
Thanks for all your replies.

Merry Christmas

I can see exactly where you are comming from, The main dealer have more costs and expences to cover than small operator would have. I would be just as miffed.. You can be sure it will be done for less in his buddys "Fred in the shed place". Because the cost would be concidered low, its best to pay and be done with it. What goes around comes around.

Ls

I can see exactly where you are comming from, The main dealer have more costs and expences to cover than small operator would have. I would be just as miffed.. You can be sure it will be done for less in his buddys "Fred in the shed place". Because the cost would be concidered low, its best to pay and be done with it. What goes around comes around.

Ls

It does indeed. If the op's partner had not bumped into this other person's car they would be paying nothing to anyone!

It’s obvious that once he gets the money for his friend to fix it, it will cost half this and he will have the other half, but it’s no more cost to you

Back