Home subsidence/leaking pipes cover

misterchuck

Hi,
I am in an area of Cork prone to subsidence. I have been quoted a huge amount by Aviva for subsidence cover. I am looking to get cover for leaking pipes not subsidence, but cannot seem to get it anywhere.
Anyone any ideas?
Thanks!

Hi, Have you tried "FBD"? Seems to be the only one I can get a reasonable quote from in relation to home insurance in such an area of Cork.

mrchuck - if you don't mind sharing - can you let us know what part of Cork you are in? Assume everyone else in that area will have same issues...

very little difference between subsidence claim and leaking pipes claim! Does the subsidence cause the pipe to break, or does the broken pipe cause the subsidence?

if you're living in one of the insurers subsidence prone zones, they will not quote at all, rather than quote excluding subsidence.

Aviva premiums seem to have rocketed since they were taken over by UK. Mind you, all others seem the same, with the exception of FBD.

A broker might be able to assist you.

very little difference between subsidence claim and leaking pipes claim! Does the subsidence cause the pipe to break, or does the broken pipe cause the subsidence?

if you're living in one of the insurers subsidence prone zones, they will not quote at all, rather than quote excluding subsidence.

Aviva premiums seem to have rocketed since they were taken over by UK. Mind you, all others seem the same, with the exception of FBD.

A broker might be able to assist you.

Hi,
i know a little bit about this, firstly leaking pipes (sewer) etc are mostly the cause of subsidence and its also to do with the type of ground the house is built on,especially if its on a slope in one of these areas, there are many pockets of this type of land in Cork,Bishopstown and Wilton where i lived was one,
On the insurance front it is impossible in my opinion to get subsidence cover for any of these areas,one might get cover at a high premium in non-subsidence areas, but thats like someone giving you an umbrella on a sunny day!
The cost of fully underpinning an average semi d can be about €35000 so you can see why insurance companies are taking flight in all directions.

hope this helps a little

I know MIS insurance quote a product that excludes flood and subsidence cover, so they should quote for the area but obviously you wouldn't have subsidence cover.

Back