Motor Car renewal up €180??Why?

toby2111

I thought car insurance for males was going to come down??Well,I got my insurance renewal,was €375 last year.......now its €555!!!!I'm 38,no claims/convictions,2 points, driving 07 Kia Ceed 1.6 diesel.
Most other online companies are also charging around €550.Rang Zurich,who policy is with,complained and she knocked it down to €475...still €100 extra.Why has it gone up?
Got a quote from AIG for €391,policy looks OK apart from no breakdown(extra €17 for that).But girl from Zurich said they are not great for paying out......How would she now?????!!!

Anyone any dealings with AIG?

She wouldnt. She's an Authorised Product Advisor at best which would give her no remit to make comment on other insurers. Nor would she know anything beyond anecdotal evidence at best.

Rates are going up. Not coming down.

AIG are fine to deal with.

Rates are going up. Not coming down.

AIG are fine to deal with.

Mine has never jumped up €180!Its fluctuated between €370 and €420 for the past 5 years or so.

Rang AIG's 1890 number to have a more indepth chat about their quote/policy.Was kept waiting 8 minutes so I hung up.They're obviously not big into good customer service!!Still,their price is the best I got yet so I'll prob go with them.

Had my car renewal in the last week or so & it's down (€30 from what I paid last year, but just the initial quote, am expecting further euros to be knocked off).

last year €400 to this year €370 - similar details to yourself. I haven't started ringing around other insurance companies as of yet... but the policy itself is the same as last year...

I'm with O'Learys brokers (with them for a few years now), but in the last few years, it's only themselves & AA who I get reasonable quotes from - every other company was always at least €100+ more expensive.

Last year €490 with AIG, €570 renewal quote. €880 quoted by Chill.ie, I ended up accepting a quote of €420 from 123.ie. Shop around is the only answer

Hi Toby,

It may be that the age of your car is affecting the premium. I often get a quick-quote for a lot less than the quote when I put in the age of my car. There might be a step at 5 years or something?

Premia are going up, but that's a hell of a jump.

Its only 6 years old!I could understand if it was 10 years or more.

As a previous poster said above,shop around is the only way.My wife gets a great deal with Axa but they quote me over €600.And then my insurance company quote her a stupid price!!Is there some sort of cartel or price fixing going on?I mean,how can Chill.ie quote €880 and then the poster above gets it for €420 elsewere!!Somethings rotten in the insurance business......

... I ended up accepting a quote of €420 from 123.ie. Shop around is the only answer
The best of luck with that shower. I was with them a few years ago (two cars at one stage) and they were an unmitigated disaster - incorrect reg nos on certs, certs "missing", demands for premiums already paid, etc.

My current insurers, AonInsure, have sold their private insurance book to 123.ie. I was so disgusted by my experiences with 123.ie that I immediately looked for an alternative insurer. First Ireland have offered me the same comprehensive cover as I had last year for the same premium, €320.00.

Yeh,I was with aoninsure and got good quotes this past few years.Was disappointed to see they sold their insurance book to 123.ie.........maybe 123 should spend less money on annoying TV ad's and focus on reducing premia!Gave me a rubbish quote.

I'll try First Ireland in the morning so.

The best of luck with that shower. I was with them a few years ago (two cars at one stage) and they were an unmitigated disaster - incorrect reg nos on certs, certs "missing", demands for premiums already paid, etc.

My current insurers, AonInsure, have sold their private insurance book to 123.ie. I was so disgusted by my experiences with 123.ie that I immediately looked for an alternative insurer. First Ireland have offered me the same comprehensive cover as I had last year for the same premium, €320.00.

While I obviously can't speak for your experience with 123, mine so far has been great - very competitive quote, very helpful phone staff when I called, insurance disc in the post the day after I FAXed on NCB cert.

I was with First Ireland before 123 and I found them excellent to deal with I must say. However, €420 vs €570 for same policy is a no-brainer in my book....

While I obviously can't speak for your experience with 123, mine so far has been great - very competitive quote, very helpful phone staff when I called, insurance disc in the post the day after I FAXed on NCB cert.

I was with First Ireland before 123 and I found them excellent to deal with I must say. However, €420 vs €570 for same policy is a no-brainer in my book....

Hello,

I've moved to and from 123.ie a couple of times now. In short, I find them more competitive when trying to sign new business, than when trying to retain their existing custom and they have definitely been attempting to push insurance premiums up since RSA took them over (despite no claims on existing policies etc).

I find their customer service very good, they are efficient and friendly and while (thankfully) I've never had a claim and hope I never do ... I'd be confident they would provide an equally good service if ever I did have to make a claim.

Nonetheless, you must press them on their quotes if you are an existing customer - because you will quickly find by checking a few other websites that there are cheaper quotes to be had than the initial renewal quote from 123.ie .....

...Was disappointed to see they sold their insurance book to 123.ie.........maybe 123 should spend less money on annoying TV ad's and focus on reducing premia!Gave me a rubbish quote....
I couldn't agree more. For a crowd I left years ago they are very persistent. emails, junk mail through the letter-box, telly ads etc. I looked at one of their brochures and saw "comprehensive insurance from €270 / pa". The best quote I got from them was more than twice that.
...I'll try First Ireland in the morning so.
They offer the same products as AonInsure from RSA (who own 123.ie) via KENNCO Underwriting.

As a previous poster said above,shop around is the only way.My wife gets a great deal with Axa but they quote me over €600.And then my insurance company quote her a stupid price!!Is there some sort of cartel or price fixing going on?I mean,how can Chill.ie quote €880 and then the poster above gets it for €420 elsewere!!Somethings rotten in the insurance business......

Insurance companies target particular segments of the market. Some of them think they can make a profit underwriting a particular type or level of risk, whereas another company wouldn't. Or they will accept a lower or negative underwriting profit and try to make money on investments. In any case, they set their rates to attract the segment they want and to discourage others.

I got my renewal notice from Zurich for a 2008 1.6 Diesel Hyundai i30CW. €595 up €135.

I tried a few others for quotes, chill.ie 123.ie etc and the lowest I could get it down to was €400 which was a far inferior policy.

I went on to Aviva and ended up getting a superior policy for €295! Less than half that of Zurich!! Between the 20% online discount, 8 weeks free driving (which is an additional 13% or so discount on the policy rather than an additional 8 weeks of cover), 5% discount for having another Aviva policy and a no penalty points discount it really knocked the quote down.

My advice: Check Aviva for a quote.

Happy chappy here!! :)

BTW I don't work in the insurance industry!

It's important to understand that 123.ie is not an insurance broker, although I suspect that most people think that it is. It may have started life as a broker, but now it says on the end of the website

Car Insurance is provided by RSA Insurance Ireland Limited

This is interesting

Last year €490 with AIG, €570 renewal quote. €880 quoted by Chill.ie, I ended up accepting a quote of €420 from 123.ie. Shop around is the only answer

I think that Chill.ie is actually a broker and they were the most expensive!

This is how it should work

I'm with O'Learys brokers (with them for a few years now), but in the last few years, it's only themselves & AA who I get reasonable quotes from - every other company was always at least €100+ more expensive.

Brendan, I agree....the above used to be the case with me....First Ireland were very competitive always but an almost E100 jump this year for no reason made me change.

Might be worth noting my car is a Mazda rx8 which always puts insurance companies knickers in a twist anyway! They rarely know engine size or classify it as something ridiculously high.

with AIG - around €400 last year, and €313 this year. No change to policy, just standard renewal. Car is now 10 years old so so maybe that's the reason as it probably would just be written off in case of any more serious damage...

Hi Toby,

It may be that the age of your car is affecting the premium. I often get a quick-quote for a lot less than the quote when I put in the age of my car. There might be a step at 5 years or something?

Premia are going up, but that's a hell of a jump.

with AIG - around €400 last year, and €313 this year. No change to policy, just standard renewal. Car is now 10 years old so so maybe that's the reason as it probably would just be written off in case of any more serious damage...

Mrs Vimes thinks that insurance gets dearer as the cars get older.

Sounds like we need a Key Post

Tips to get cheaper car insurance

Mrs Vimes thinks that insurance gets dearer as the cars get older.

Sounds like we need a Key Post

Tips to get cheaper car insurance

Next to impossible Brendan IME.

Since the "de-regulation" of the insurance businesses a few years ago, getting like-for-like quotes is very difficult.

For me, full irish licence, 40 years driving experience, 9+ years NCB, 1.9tdi diesel hatchback, declared value 7k, 16k kms pa, sd&p driving, one driver, comprehensive cover, step back bonus protection, glass cover, break-down assist, driving other cars, you'd think one premium / one level of cover with a common excess figure would be available. But that is not the case. Brokers and insurers now sell inflexible packages and if the package doesn't suit you then tough.

I took this issue up with the ombudsman's office some time ago on our current inability to compare like-with-like and to get truly comparative and competitive quotes. It went nowhere. Unless you happen upon two companies selling exactly the same package you can't do what the "de-regulation" was supposed to provide for - direct comparison and value-for-money assessment.

The only tip I can offer is to hit the phones and the inter web come renewal time with a list of cover you want.

Back