Teachers and CIDs : 'Contract of Indefinite Duration'

If you have a CID you will be retained on thase hours in the exact same way as a permanent teacher. In fact, as a result of a recent decision at the Teachers Conciliation Council, if you have a CID for 18 hours or more, you are entitled to be paid for 22 hours, the max teachers salary. The Circular Letter for this has not been issued yet but the operative date is Sept. 2009. If a particular school has more permanent teachers and CIDs than its quota then it is technically over quota and people who retire or go on career break or job sharing may not be replaced.

I came across some useful information regarding CID's recently

circular 0055/2008 states that CID's and permanency are effectively the same thing. There is no distinction drawn between the tenure rights of a CID and a permanent contract. The difference may rest in the no. of hours contracted in the CID. The opportunity to build these hours to full hours is still unclear.

If one is concerned about CID's read this circular as it is the final agreement as opposed to the transitional agreement that was in common usage and circulation.

Oops, just saw previous post and I am repeating what was said there.

If you have a CID you will be retained on thase hours in the exact same way as a permanent teacher. In fact, as a result of a recent decision at the Teachers Conciliation Council, if you have a CID for 18 hours or more, you are entitled to be paid for 22 hours, the max teachers salary. The Circular Letter for this has not been issued yet but the operative date is Sept. 2009. If a particular school has more permanent teachers and CIDs than its quota then it is technically over quota and people who retire or go on career break or job sharing may not be replaced.

where did you hear this? both my parents are principals and said that they haven't heard anything about this

was looking for info on cid contracts for my wife and came across this thread. very useful as there does seem to be a bit of confusion out there. my wife is going in to her 3rd year in a school and doesn't know yet how many hours she will have. the 1st year she had 18, last year 16.5. is there a lower amount of hours below which the contract doesn't count towards her cid? ie if she got 9 hours does that mean that this year wouldn't be counted as part of the cid or is the key thing only the amount of hours she has in the fourth year?

And it all begs the question AGAIN of what the unions do for what we pay them????????????????????????

was looking for info on cid contracts for my wife and came across this thread. very useful as there does seem to be a bit of confusion out there. my wife is going in to her 3rd year in a school and doesn't know yet how many hours she will have. the 1st year she had 18, last year 16.5. is there a lower amount of hours below which the contract doesn't count towards her cid? ie if she got 9 hours does that mean that this year wouldn't be counted as part of the cid or is the key thing only the amount of hours she has in the fourth year?

No you can have a CID for 1 hour a week.

I remember social welfare use to state you needed 8 hours a week for a stamp but I'm unsure if this is still the case.

A CID means that you are guaranteed a set number of hours, have the same terms and conditions of a full time person but on a pro rata basis.

I can't answer how many hours your wife will get.

No you can have a CID for 1 hour a week.

I remember social welfare use to state you needed 8 hours a week for a stamp but I'm unsure if this is still the case.

A CID means that you are guaranteed a set number of hours, have the same terms and conditions of a full time person but on a pro rata basis.

I can't answer how many hours your wife will get.

thanks for the feedback

During the summer i received 10.5 hrs CID. I got a phone call from the principal last week to say that i needed to sigh my contract for the rest of my hours. On further questioning i found out that i only had 1 more class bringing me up to 11 hrs. This was a bit of a blow because i have always had full hours and i have been in the school for a number of years. With all the budget cuts and everything i was fully prepared to accept this. I went into school the following day to sign for my 1 extra class only to find out that a junior member of staff had been given hours for a subjects that i'm qualified to teach. Does any1 no am i not entitled to have my hours topped up before junior members of staff get hours especially if i can teach these subjects?

During the summer i received 10.5 hrs CID. I got a phone call from the principal last week to say that i needed to sigh my contract for the rest of my hours. On further questioning i found out that i only had 1 more class bringing me up to 11 hrs. This was a bit of a blow because i have always had full hours and i have been in the school for a number of years. With all the budget cuts and everything i was fully prepared to accept this. I went into school the following day to sign for my 1 extra class only to find out that a junior member of staff had been given hours for a subjects that i'm qualified to teach. Does any1 no am i not entitled to have my hours topped up before junior members of staff get hours especially if i can teach these subjects?

How many years are you in the school? I assume the fact that you're getting a CID means more than 4. If you were on say 18 hours last year (if it was your fourth) and the hours are available then you are entitled to a CID for 18 hours. If you get a CID for 18 hours, then there is a form you sign and send to Dept/VEC saying you have CID for 18 hours but are willing to work up to 22 hours and they have to pay you for 22 hours. They'll probably give you 22 hours then as it would work out cheaper than having an RPT teacher doing them. If say you were on 16 hours in your fourth year, then your CID should be for 16 hours and those hours should go to you if you are qualified to teach the subject and not someone who has come in after you.

Same is happening in my school at the moment, two teachers both due their 18 hour CIDs, now starting their 5th year, principal is giving them 17.20 hours, telling them that teachers will lose their jobs if they get full hours, when they are entitled to them and he has newer teachers teaching their subjects on 18+ hours... looks like they are going to get their proper contracts though. Definitely look into it.

hi, i started in my school in jan 2006 and have had 5 contracts already and will have completed my 4 continuous years this coming jan. anyone know if i'm entitled to a cid in jan even though it's mid year. still waiting on a reply from my union...

hi, i started in my school in jan 2006 and have had 5 contracts already and will have completed my 4 continuous years this coming jan. anyone know if i'm entitled to a cid in jan even though it's mid year. still waiting on a reply from my union...
The time of year should not matter- it didn't matter when you started. I can't say for sure as there may be agreements beteew DoE and unions. Even so any agreement must be in line with the legislation. What's important is what it said on your contracts.

marzipan - your entitlement to a CID will be dependant on the type of contract you have with the school. Are you being paid from the part-time hours of the school or have you been covering for an absent teacher?

my own hours, replacing someone who retired - just found out this week that i got the cid. thanks for the replies.

Hi Marzipan

Congrats on getting your CID. Can you say how far you had to go to get your CID. Am employed with my VEC since October 2005 and still fighting to get my CID

Thanks Chesera,

My principal did all the hard work so I was very lucky. I did contact my union in Oct (under advisement of my principal and deputy principal) and was told I had a very strong case and to get back to them in Jan when I was due my CID if I needed them. Fortunately I didn't need them but that was definitely due to my principal.

Hope it works out for you - going to your union may be the way to go if you haven't done so already - good luck.

Thanks Chesera,

My principal did all the hard work so I was very lucky. I did contact my union in Oct (under advisement of my principal and deputy principal) and was told I had a very strong case and to get back to them in Jan when I was due my CID if I needed them. Fortunately I didn't need them but that was definitely due to my principal.

Hope it works out for you - going to your union may be the way to go if you haven't done so already - good luck.

Thanks Marzipan. Unlike you my VEC are fighting me all the way. Currently waiting on a decision from Adjudication section of DES. hopefully Ill hear something positive soon.

Back