Costs of Oil Heating

And change your thermostats to smart ones. Also put thermostats on your rads. I have both of above and find the great. The rad thermostats create another heating zone also. So you can have upstairs on seperate to downstairs etc.

But that's exactly what BERs do! Take a look at the SEAI [broken link removed]. For a C1 house, you're looking at around €11/sq m per annum heating costs. So for a 2500 sq ft / 232 sq m house, that's €2,552 pa.

As you say, BERs are a bit generic, so you'll need to take a good look around and form an opinion yourself, or hire a competent surveyor, but they're a good starting point.

It's partly my own fault for critiquing the BER negatively but not really looking into the background on the seai website. That's good info Leo, thanks.

I've been investigating surveyors - some seem to have a long exclusion list of what they don't look at - but I assume they will look at certain things like heating if its specified at the outset?

I think I'd be sitting in a corner crying if my heating bill was €150 average a month:eek:

I pay my oil by monthly d/d €67 a month and last year was the 1st year that my annual bill exceeded this repayment - so I paid separately for €150 worth - This brought my annual spend to just under €1000.

To be fair though...I am mean with heating and try not to turn on till late September/early October. Heating is currently off and unless we have a really cold snap, it won't be on again until the autumn. 1600sq ft, 4 beds, and someone home all day.

I think I've overestimated what my bills actually are - it was approx €130 a month over the Jan/Feb/March so it's probably more like a €100 a month or less on average.

I hate being cold though!

Are there certain companies who allow a dd payment for oil? That would be useful if you have the name of the company you use? Thanks!

40% higher for kerosene over natural gas is al little off the mark.
Currently 1,000 litres of kerosene is €810.00 so the calorific value of kerosene is 9.8kwh/litre thus giving a cost of 7.9 cent per kwh.
Natural gas is currently 6.6 cent per kwh so only a difference of 16.5%.

However, modern gas boilers will modulate their output to suit the current demand of the system, this using the exact amount of fuel to suit the demand, whereas an oil boiler can only deliver all or nothing, thus over-firing consistently.

Thanks Shane007. So even if I were to replace the boiler with a new high-efficiency one it won't be as effective as a gas boiler? Are there any types/makes of boilers that you'd recommend?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've been spoiled by being on mains gas for the last 14 years & have forgotten anything I ever knew about oil boilers & heating - which wasn't a lot in the first place! I appreciate the opinions & advice!

I've been investigating surveyors - some seem to have a long exclusion list of what they don't look at - but I assume they will look at certain things like heating if its specified at the outset?

Yeah, some will just do a quick scan through the property just doing a box-ticking exercise to get you an indicative rating, others will be more thorough. You'll need to be clear exactly what you're looking for when talking to them and get the specifics of exactly what they will do. To assess the quality/efficiency of an installed heating system though, you might be best going to someone who works on them for a living, an OFTEC registered engineer for oil.

That's a useful site demoivre. I guess it takes a little more discipline to put aside the money yourself but it's certainly the best way to do it. One thing that site makes clear though is there is very little price differential between any of the suppliers. A quick look around showed a saving of around €15 on 1,000 litres.

Back