Flat roof solutions

Gaothfar

Hi,
Following the recent storms, I have developed a leak in a flat felt roof. Two roofers have looked and each recommended replacement with butyl rubber (also known as EPDM) but, as neither have returned or rung with the promised price, I must now try my DIY skills. (The roof is only 2m x 4m - probably why professionals aren't interested.)
I've located suppliers and watched the instructions on YouTube but wonder if there are any hidden pitfalls. For instance: does the roof need to be stripped of the old torch-on felt? Does it need to be completely dry? Is it necessary to strip slates to tie into the adjoining conventional slated roof or can the rubber be fixed and sealed to a fascia?
All advice welcome - or the name of a south Galway roofer who will show up would also be appreciated.

Two topics here really, if you want advice on the DIY solution, best post that in the main Homes & Gardens forum.

Hi,

Have you identified where the leak is coming from? Just general wear & tear or specific area?

There are a number of "off the shelf" products that might be helpful. For joins or where the roof meets a wall, you could use bitumen strip, then thompsons roof seal. It's not the cheapest stuff, but I've found it very good for flat roof.

[broken link removed] for more info.

I've used it in the past (last year) and it has stopped the leak in a flat roof...

If unhappy with a roofer's work snd he not registered or in agreement
Are there any options around complaints?

Apologies if this in wrong thread.

Back