legislation relating to clamping in private estates?

Bree Narran

I will write here instead of starting a new thread.

Trying to find out if there is any legislation relating to clamping in private estates?

Our OMC is considering it for landlords who are not contactable..So using a permit system for all.

Snh views appreciated.

OMC Does not wish to operate ouside the law.

Clamping services are also common in car parks of hotels, hospitals, universities and shopping centres to discourage long-term parking at the expense of staff, customers or clients. Clamping on private property is not covered by legislation and the legality of clamping on private property is unclear. The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport published draft laws to regulate clamping in April 2013.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...rking/parking_fines_and_vehicle_clamping.html

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=13794&lang=ENG&loc=387

Don't know if there is a definitive view yet!

There is a permit system where I live. I think it was brought in because people weren't paying management fees. Seems to work well although we only get one disc and have to any extra for a second which is ridiculous.

Ok thanks for that. Very helpful. We dont wish to bring it in but those paying hsve no space and we hsve no internal common areas

We already have clamping for people parking in areas other than spaces and are about to introduce permit parking at least on a short term basis. For us there are two reasons, the key one being fees not being paid, the second being some units having 4+ vehicles meaning others can find it difficult to get a parking space. We hope that bringing it in for six months may solve both problems but are willing to let it run longer if required. We've met with the two big companies and are currently considering their proposals.

There is a permit system where I live. I think it was brought in because people weren't paying management fees. Seems to work well although we only get one disc and have to any extra for a second which is ridiculous.

Why is that riduculous, isn't it fair that everybody gets one disc at a minimum? What do you do if there aren't enough parking spaces to give everybody two discs?

How many people own .5 cars?

I wonder was any thought actually put into these contracts when they were drafted?

1.5 spaces refers to a single space and a share in visitor parking, it was the minimum level of parking councils required to grant planning permission. We were baffled by this too so did some research.

Back