GSOC Bugging

Sunny

Anyone else getting the feling we could be seeing the fall of a Government if they don't get a handle on this shortly.

Really has been a shambolic performance by the Government. Enda Kenny is almost Bertie like with his desire for people to move on as there is nothing to see statements.

Anyone else getting the feling we could be seeing the fall of a Government if they don't get a handle on this shortly.

Really has been a shambolic performance by the Government. Enda Kenny is almost Bertie like with his desire for people to move on as there is nothing to see statements.

Lets hope so....

How can the Government fall? Both parties seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet so far, can't imagine Labour rocking the boat on this one.

I do think Callinan should be encouraged to retire, he seems to forget he's supposed to serve the people not his staff.

How can the Government fall? Both parties seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet so far, can't imagine Labour rocking the boat on this one.

I do think Callinan should be encouraged to retire, he seems to forget he's supposed to serve the people not his staff.

Of course it could fall. There are already enough questions about Shatters statements to the Dail. If something comes out on Sunday that shows the GSOC had strong reasons for suspecting that they were being placed under surveilance and the Government has already tried to close down this investigation by telling people there is nothing there, then Shatter is gone. It's a small step from that to an entire Government falling. Especially considering Enda Kenny's statements on the matter.

This whole thing stinks. Reading the stories, there is little doubt that they were placed under surveillance. The GSOC themselves believe it despite what the Government say. Why the Government chose to handle it the way they have is beyond me. The only possible reason I can think of is that they have serious concerns that an organ of the State was involved either officially or unofficially. Governments have fallen for less.

Of course it could fall. There are already enough questions about Shatters statements to the Dail. If something comes out on Sunday that shows the GSOC had strong reasons for suspecting that they were being placed under surveilance and the Government has already tried to close down this investigation by telling people there is nothing there, then Shatter is gone. It's a small step from that to an entire Government falling. Especially considering Enda Kenny's statements on the matter.

This whole thing stinks. Reading the stories, there is little doubt that they were placed under surveillance. The GSOC themselves believe it despite what the Government say. Why the Government chose to handle it the way they have is beyond me. The only possible reason I can think of is that they have serious concerns that an organ of the State was involved either officially or unofficially. Governments have fallen for less.

It all comes down to the numbers, everything else is just noise.

In order for the Government to fall they need to lose a confidence motion basically. Given the size of the majority currently enjoyed that would mean either Labour jumping ship or a huge number of both FG and Labour back-benchers going off-piste which I just can't see happening given the poll figures for Labour and I can't see FG "going to the country" on such a stupid issue.

I think the whole thing has been handled really badly and stupidly but to go from that to the last days of the Government is taking a leap way too far.

When has a Government fallen for less? Do you really think Labour will walk on this issue? How else do you see the Government falling?

It is fairly GUBU, and having not followed it in detail my conclusions thus far are:

Callanan is acting like some trade union leader. Between the response to Smithwick report, the Garda whistleblowers and now this (and I dont think anyone suspects someone other than you-know-who) its been a truly awful few months for the gardai.

Shatter has continued on his usual foot-in-mouth pattern, how has he been in politics so long when he keeps going in "two footed" and calling it wrong so often. He seems to have neither grace nor cuteness, they should really make him Minister for Fun or something else where he cant do much damage.

Maybe the Enda - move on, nothing to see here - is because he knows there isnt anything that can be proven, and the whole thing will degenerate into pointless mudslinging and further loss of confidence by the public on all fronts.

my guess is that callanan has dug up some serious dirt on shatter, probably enough to destroy him!..... now he is just putting the screws on him to get what he wants..

Back