Other Phone insurance - will they approve my claim?

wp86

I bought a sim-free Sony Xperia P phone on eBay in November 2012.

I took out insurance on it with Ulster Bank uFirst Gold account (insurance provided by CPP Insurance) straight away.

It was stolen from me in February 2012.

I reported it to the guards within 24 hours and my insurance company within 48 hours.

I asked the insurance company do I have to make the claim within a certain time frame, and they said no. So, due to laziness, I still haven't made the claim yet.

I now want to go ahead and make the claim, however I'm getting this horrible feeling that I'll be knocked back.
I emailed the company I bought the phone from on eBay (cyber-gate) and asked them to send me an invoice for the phone.
They e-mailed me one but said that most insurance companies won't insure phones that were bought on eBay.
Furthermore, the invoice doesn't have the IMEI number on it, and the insurance company's T&C state that the invoice/receipt for the phone must have the IMEI number on it. (I have responded to the store asking them to send me another invoice, this time including the IMEI. Currently awaiting response.)
Also, when I was talking to the insurance company originally, they said that they don't accept receipts that I've got through email and printed out.

So now I'm worried that my insurance company, who I have been paying monthly fees to for almost a year, and who never told me ANY of this information when I was registering my phone with them, won't fulfill my claim.

When I was joining the insurance, there was nothing anywhere that said "We don't insure phones sold on eBay." and there was nothing that said "We don't accept receipts via email / printed from email" and there was nothing that said "It is unlikely that your phone receipt will have an IMEI number on it."

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

You havent been paying a month fee to any insurance company. Phone insurance is included free of charge as part of the benefits of your account for a start.

Secondly if you cannot comply with the policy conditions for a claim, it is unlikely you will succeed.

I know they said there was no time limit, but there was probably an implication of a a reasonable time-frame. you arent doing yourself any favours that it was 7 months ago.

When you registered your phone it gave the terms and conditions to review. When UB change their phone insurance to Aviva you also got posted a copy of the policy wording. I know because I did.

You havent been paying a month fee to any insurance company. Phone insurance is included free of charge as part of the benefits of your account for a start.

Not sure how you're reaching this conclusion. Free of charge? Nothing is free. I'm paying a monthly fee for a product that includes phone insurance. And regardless of this point, it's not really relevant in my query.

Secondly if you cannot comply with the policy conditions for a claim, it is unlikely you will succeed.

There was nothing in the terms and conditions to say that I would not qualify.

I know they said there was no time limit, but there was probably an implication of a a reasonable time-frame. you arent doing yourself any favours that it was 7 months ago.

The insurance company have told me there is no time limit. Why have you even brought this point up?

When you registered your phone it gave the terms and conditions to review. When UB change their phone insurance to Aviva you also got posted a copy of the policy wording. I know because I did.

Ulster Bank have also told me that any claims for incidents before the Aviva take over are not covered by Aviva, they are covered by the original insurer. Aviva have absolutely nothing to do with this. And regarding your terms and conditions point, as I have already said I saw absolutely nothing in there about purchasing phones from eBay.

well then as opposed to come on here disparraging points made to questions you asked, why don't you just submit your claim to the insurance company and see what happens.

Not sure how you're reaching this conclusion. Free of charge? Nothing is free. I'm paying a monthly fee for a product that includes phone insurance. And regardless of this point, it's not really relevant in my query.

So if I didnt have a mobile phone my uFirst account charge would be cheaper?

So if I didnt have a mobile phone my uFirst account charge would be cheaper?

You are paying for the entitlement to phone insurance. Just like you are paying for the entitlement to all of the services you receive with that account. What exactly did you think you were paying for?

You are not receiving phone insurance for free.

We had a claim from CPP about 2 years ago. The first thing they asked for was the actual receipt for the phone. Not a copy or an email of a receipt -the actual physical receipt. It then took 11 weeks, hours of phone calls and about 200 emails before we managed to get the claim paid. And that was after filing the claim within 36 hours of the damage occuring.

They don't have to know where the phone was bought etc when you register it. All these things are ok until you go to claim-then the insurance company will ask for the information in the format they need. To combat fraud, they have to have certain documentary requirements. Original receipts are quite a common requirement.

You brought up the issue of a time limit in your 1st post. Anybody is free to comment further on that. I don't get why they should have advise you about IMEI numbers not being on receipts? They are not buying the phone - the onus is on the purchaser to ensure they get a IMEI number and then keep it. All the networks and the Garda, advise writing it down in a safe place in the event of loss/theft of phone. You can't put the onus on the insurance company to advise you of this too.

I bought a sim-free Sony Xperia P phone on eBay in November 2012.

I took out insurance on it with Ulster Bank uFirst Gold account (insurance provided by CPP Insurance) straight away.

It was stolen from me in February 2012.

You might want to correct the February 2012 to 2013?

You are paying for the entitlement to phone insurance. Just like you are paying for the entitlement to all of the services you receive with that account. What exactly did you think you were paying for?

You are not receiving phone insurance for free.

My monthly banking requirements! Phone insurance was not always included with UFirst.

Back