Lawn Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leo
I respect your comment and particularly as you are a heavy poster, but I don't know what you mean by more meaningful. Can you suggest? Also I've had a private message and the poster stated that their reply was deleted and they think the title is fine?

Yes. As it stands it could be someone who wishes to cultivate moss in their lawn!!

We wouldn't need a bail out in this country if we could harvest and sell Moss !, I think the thread title is fine, I've used Iron Sulphate previously, I was told not to scarify afterwarsds but I did and have done over the past two years, just on my front lawn mind you and it works great.

Is your lawn large. You can spread it by hand on a very calm evening as the will blow it around as it is a very fine powdery type of stuff. Make sure it does not get on to cement kerbs or tarmacadam as it will stain them when they get damp. Wear glasses for eye protection and a face mask. It is quite good at killing moss. If lawn is bad with moss you may have to rake out the dead moss. As soon as there is rain you will notice the moss getting black and if it is not getting black you can assume you have missed it.

My lawn is currently black after treatment to kill moss. Every year the same problem. It's a back breaking job having to rake it out. This year I am going to enjoy my black lawn. Great title by the way. Almost as good as the other current title "Bloom". Nothing done about that one. I wonder why?

You can buy lawn fertiliser with moss and weed killer incorporated into it. With temperatures only after reaching double figures in the last day or so, now is a good time to feed the lawn. Killing weeds and moss is a handy side effect of such products (I use Evergreen 4 in 1 and find it good).

Excessive moss is a sign of poor drainage, shade and/or aeration issues. These root causes need to be tackled or the moss will keep coming back.

Moss will only grow in acidic soil so if you add lime to the soil it will make it alkaline which will make it less favourable for moss to grow.

Thanks posters. I have a large lawn approx 1/2acre and quite a bit of moss. It's probably acidic as 2 weeks ago I noticed that the farm on the opposite side of the road was treated with lime. So I'm wondering should I use the lime only, together with the sulphate, sulphate only or a mix? Any help appreciated?

I would stick with the Sulphate of Iron. I would purchase a small spreader for the purpose. You will need about 2 X 25KG bags for this area. They will cost you about €13-14 per bag. Make sure it is not damp and lumpy. Take the advice about glasses and mask as in earlier posts. Farmers use lime on land as a nutrient which makes the grass more palatable and for nutrient deficiency which might otherwise occur in cattle.

You can add the iron sulphate to sand to help it spread a little easier. You need to make sure that you use the right quantities. Iron sulphate also greens grass without causing growth unlike Nitrogen which greens and causes growth.

Leo
I respect your comment and particularly as you are a heavy poster, but I don't know what you mean by more meaningful. Can you suggest? Also I've had a private message and the poster stated that their reply was deleted and they think the title is fine?

Hi 149oaks, I'm also a moderator, so I'm here enforcing the posting guidelines that all users agree to abide by.

Your question was quite specific in asking if you could use iron sulphate to kill lawn moss. We encourage posters to use specific titles as this helps readers of the forum better identify the topic at hand, and identify ones they may be able to assist with, and also assist future forum readers find answers to similar questions they may have.

Stop this now !!! Let the Moss win , otherwise I will be forced to use Sulphate of Iron on my beautifully , green,damp,acidic,large lawn. I massacred the moss 3 years ago and the moss came back complete with its cousins & cousins.So LONG LIVE THE MOSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back