Co owner wanting to rent out room in property

joe316

Quick question

Current situation has become a bit legal and lots of threats flying around.

2 siblings equally inherited mothers house, myself and partner have been living in home for past 8 months. Probate has just finished and want to put some closure on the home. Other owner will not budge on their valuation (won't go into he said she said things) but other owner is threatening to put a lodger (stranger) in the house against our wishes (willing to discuss rent but he's not). Can the other owner force this through?

Also we have a 6 month old which adds to the situation.

You both own the house 50/50

What on earth are you doing living there with your own menage. Isn't it obvious that such a situation will cause problems with your sibling.

Sit down with your sibling. Have a sensible and fair discussion about either one of you buying out the other half. If no agreement can be made, The house must go on the market until its sold.

Putting a lodger in the house is just as unbalanced as you moving in with your family and taking root.

Its only a house. Better to keep some relationship with your sibling then trying to get one over on each other.

This same mistake has been made over and over again within families. If ye're smart, you'll both avoid it.

Thanks for the response, it was my wife's home at the time, she didn't want to leave her home and baby only arrived a few months ago. We didn't just pack all our stuff into a free place.

Hi Joe,
Could a third party who has some skill at negociation and moreso tact in this kind of situation sit down with your partner and her brother to try to negociate the valuation and a route map on how to move forward? It would be best scenario. If I were you I'd not take part in this directly. At times like this, familes can implode irrationally and no hostages are taken. In the meantime have you offered him 50% of the going rate for rent of houses in the area? this could help. Other than that you may end up running into professional charges / costs for valuation, possibly putting the house on the market or even legal costs for a protracted battle.

Back