Plant Hire of a concrete pump? Suitable?

Betsy Og

Have a strip of concrete I'd like to get done, 10M by 4M, outdoors. However access isnt great and would involve the truck going onto a field (forgeddaboutit until next May or so). Have had a truck with conveyor belt before & it worked well but not suitable in this case, belt wouldnt reach far enough and would have to get over a building so a no go I think.

So I'm wondering if the solution could be a concrete pump? I dont know much about them but I gather you'd need to hire big tub/small skip into which the truck would unload. Probably need about 25M of hose.

Would it be feasible/cost effective to hire a concrete pump? I have an electric mixer but I'd be a good while getting it done that way. Any views?

What depth of concrete would you need. In order to see what volume of concrete required would either rule in or out the use of a pump.

Do you have enough room for a wheelbarrow? Even at 150mm depth of concrete, this equates to just 6 m3. A couple of mates with barrows on a saturday morning would be the cheapest option if you can fit them.

I suppose a depth of about 3 or 4 inches would be enough, its basically a slab of concrete off the gable end of a shed, play area/'alley'. Plenty of room for barrows, the actual barrows and manpower would be more the problem.

The only other thing is, I suppose, time. If I could only muster 1 other lad and a barrow, would I have a majorly annoyed driver ? There would be a bit of a draw, say 20Mtrs at least.

The few extra quid wouldnt bother me too much if it wasnt totally OTT, and if it would be easily manageable/practical for a novice.

You'll have roughly 120 barrows of concrete. Buy 2 barrows, pay the concrete supplier the extra 'standing time' that will accrue and I'm fairly sure it'll work out a lot cheaper than a pump. The work will be tough, though, as you will also have to screed and finish the concrete as well as pushing the 'go-faster wagon.' Make sure to tell the concrete supplier in advance that you will be barrowing and it will take time. I'd suggest you also request them to add a retarder to the mix.

Back