Semi-Formal Dress Code - What is Appropriate Dress

BaileyMc

Hi all,

Going to a summer ball soon and the dress code is semi-formal. I was hoping that someone could please tell me what is the appropriate dress for both men and women for such an event?

For men - Black tie (tux) or suit?
For women - Cocktail dress or floor length dress?

I know it is somewhat personal preference and I will ring the event organiser also but searching on the web and AAM seems to be giving differing/unclear views. If anyone has any advice or personal experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
BaileyMc

Cocktail dress, I reckon.
Haven't a clue about men's attire for such an occasion.

For men - Black tie (tux) or suit?
For women - Cocktail dress or floor length dress?

That's black tie you're describing. Of course a cocktail dress would be fine but I'd say you could get away with a dressy top and pants and high heels for semi formal. If you know anyone else going you could ask what they plan to wear?

That's black tie you're describing. Of course a cocktail dress would be fine but I'd say you could get away with a dressy top and pants and high heels for semi formal. If you know anyone else going you could ask what they plan to wear?

I agree.
For men semi-formal is a suit/jacket without a tie for women think what you would wear if you were invited to a barbeque in the Presidents garden :D

Top halve, shirt and tie with suit jacket, bottom halve tracksuit bottoms and runners. classy.

Jacket & tie, not suit for men, Women anything short of a ballgown. I was at a semi formal recently and a lot of the men were in chinos and shirts. It depends on the crowd.

I would say jacket and tie for men but not necessarily a suit, definitely not tux. For women a dress or dressy trousers and top.

black tie is formal. suit would be best and for female a simple cocktail dress or long summer dress.nothing fussy.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The usual black dress will be coming back out of the wardrobe.

Think the can of Dutch Gold may be a step too far though... (especially at the champagne reception!!!). Might avoid the runners too!!

I think semi formal means 'don't turn up in jeans and trainers'. In other words, dress reasonably smartly without going over the top.

Back