Judgement passed to County Sheriff

LMCD

Hi
I have just got a letter from BOI solicitors that they have passed a joint loan my name is on to the County Sheriff. The loan is in arrears for a number of years and the balance is approx €4,800 plus costs. I have no hope of being able to pay anything towards this loan. I am in arrears on the mortgage by €13,000, in negative equity of about €100k and another approx €30k of personal debt in addition to this joint loan. it is a loan my former husband got to buy a car years ago and he stopped paying.

What happens now? What can the sheriff seize from me? My car is eleven years old but vital to me as I need it to get son to his hospital appointments and a forty mile round trip for work. I doubt its worth anything on the open market. I have nothing of any worth to sell.
Can anyone tell me what happens. Does he/she turn up unannounced and start emptying out the house? To be honest I am terrified about the whole thing.

The sheriff is likely to do nothing. He will not empty your house or take a banger of a car.

Hi
Thanks for that GDuffy. Yes, I have read that post numerous times and fully expected to be brought to court at some stage but was never summonsed. I just received this letter telling me the balance was now with the sheriff

They can't send anything to the sheriff without going to court first.

Are they just threatening at this stage? Have you simply missed the court date?

LMCD;

Are you sure letter says Judgement over to Sheriff ?

Maybe it is BOI wording it to strongly ONLY , infer they will send it to Sheriff?

In any event am with other posters . Sheriff has more than this on his plate.
I understand your concern but try to get on with your day to day life.

Back