Systematic short time

ledger

I have been working for the same employer for 23 years on a full time basis. Due to the downturn I was put on a 3 day week in March 2012. This was completely against my wishes and hoped that business would improve and I could go back full time. I received systematic short term JSB for the 2 days since that date,

I just got a letter from SW saying I would receive no further payments. My benefit has not expired. I was entitled to 312 days but have only used up 230 approx. The budget cut from 312 to 234 did not apply to me as I had already signed on by then. Apparently I need to show a decrease in earnings to remain on benefit.
Couple of questions that I hope someone can answer.
Why was I not allowed exhaust my benefit before taking this action ?
Is there any point in appealing ?
Should I get my boss to drop me to 2 days per week. Business has genuinely gotten worse not better, it's hanging on by a thread at this stage.
I feel really trapped, I don't want to leave my job. It's a family business and I'd hate to leave them stuck. Neither do I want to walk away from 23 years service and the possibility of statutory redundancy if the business does close. Any advice would be much appreciated. I really don't know what to do

Each week you signed, 3 days, not 2, were deducted from your total. This may explain why you've reached the 312 total.

What sw payment did you get each week ?(the amount)
I ask because you may have been classified as part time .

Sorry Gipimann, why would 3 be deducted if I only got paid for 2

Unemployment is based on a 6 day week. If you are working for 3 days, you are considered to be unemployed for 3 days.

There was a change in rules a few years ago for persons working and claiming - you cannot be paid for more than 5 days in total. If you work for 3 days, you are paid Jobseeker Benefit for 2, even though your total days unemployed is counted as 3.

If your boss drops you to 2 days a week,you can demand either reinstatement full time or redundancy after a certain number of weeks,which might bring matters to a head.

I wish that he would. it's awful being in limbo. I've been trying to find part time or freelance work to make up the other 2 days but it's not easy. I've asked him to let me go but he claims he can't afford it. The business is hanging on by a thread at this stage. I'm going to have a chat with him tomorrow to see if I can bring things to a head. I don't want to walk away with nothing. 23 years even at statutory rate is a lot of money. I also feel some loyalty to him, it may be misguided but I've been there a long time.
Gipimann, those regulations sound ridiculous. When I was first told about the 3 day week I rang SW and they told me I would be better off working the same 3 days every week. That way I would be on short time and not casual. I was told that I was entitled to 312 days at 37.60 per day and that at 2 days per week it would last longer. I'm going to attempt to ring them again tomorrow. I tried today at 16.05 but was told that everyone had gone home !!!
Either way I shall be appealing the decision.

If your boss can't afford redundancy....

1. If I cannot afford to pay my employees their full Statutory Redundancy should I pay what I can afford?

No, if an employer cannot afford to pay the full Statutory lumpsum to their employee(s) the Department will make payment out of the Social Insurance Fund, provided that the Employer provides evidence that they are not in a position to pay. Recently Audited accounts or a Statement of Affairs signed by accountant/auditor will be accepted as evidence.*The Department will then become a preferential creditor of the Employer and will owe 40% (If Employment End Date prior to Jan 2012), 85% (If Employment End Date is between 1st January 2012 and 31st December 2012) or 100% (If Employment End Date is on or after 1st January 2013) of lump sum amount to the Social Insurance Fund

Vandriver, that is very interesting. I presumed that the company had to go into receivership or liquidation for an employer to claim from the Department. I am definitely going to look into that. I really need to move on, I've a lot more qualifications now than when I started (got myself a BA Hons). It took a lot to get the degree and I need to get some use out of it.

As as aside I called into SW this afternoon to query the 312 days entitlement. I signed on in Mar 2012 when 312 was the norm. The 2013 budget reduced that to 234 days for all NEW claimants. However because I had not reached 156 days by April 2013 the lower limit applies to me. Hope that makes sense.
Spoke to the boss this morning and asked if I could do other duties to make my week back to 5 days. Basically I haven't a hope and I was told that he is thinking of dropping me down to 2 days. The end is nigh for the business I fear.
SW told me if that happens that I could go in a make a brand new claim. So there is hope, I will get something sorted whatever that maybe.

You can apply for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment once your benefit exhausts. Did your sw office not give you this information? Yes if you are made unemployed you should requalify for jsb as you will have had 13 a contributions paid from day 156 of your current claim.

Ledger,

My apologies - I confused part-time working and systematic short time. The link that vandriver posted explains the situation. SST is based on a 5 day week (so total days claimed increase by 2 days each week for someone working 3 days). Part-time work is based on a 6 day week, so total days claimed increase by the number of days not worked (3 days for someone working 3 days).

Sorry again for the confusion.

Thanks for all the input folks, much appreciated ! I'll let you know how I get on

UPDATE
Well things have come to a head- I have been made redundant. My employer is pleading inability to pay so I will be paid by the Social Insurance Fund. Mixed emotions now that the RP50 has been issued. Moving on after 20+ years is scary but it has to be done.
Thanks for all the advice folks, I wouldn't have had a clue how to go about this without you all. Cheers

Back