How does means test for J.A. work ?

milly123

Hi,

I would appreciate if anyone could help me with this one - I have looked at the welfare.ie site but without much luck.

My husband is due to be means tested for Job seekers allowance shortly, as he is almost 12 months out of work. My salary is (estimated) at €42K at end of this year , was €59K at end of 2010. I have savings of €40K and he has savings of about €10K.
We jointly assessed and have two children ( one starting school)

It seems that we are over the limit and he may not get any payment for J.A. - is this the case ?

Any replies appreciated !
Thank you.

Last edited:
Your gross wage per week less prsi and pension,take away 60 euro and multiply the result by 0.6.This is your means from income.
Your capital of 50k equates to 70 euro extra a week in means.
If the means from income plus the means from capital exceeds your maximum welfare payment,you get nothing.
The maximum welfare amount is 402 ,I think,so you are going to get next to or nothing I'm afraid.

What's your net income after tax, prsi, USC, pension contribs etc.?

If your deductions are significant you may be entitled to a small FIS payment. If you're eligible for a small FIS payment.

If your husband is not eligible for Jobseekers Allowance, he should continue to sign for credits as this keeps his insurance record up to date and opens eligibility to certain schemes.

Hi Ildanack,

My net weekly pay would be around €612. I didn't think of FIS , I will look up the rates there. Good idea about signing on for credits. Hopefully a job will come up soon and it won't be an issue.

Thanks again !

Back