How to restrict voting rights to paid up members only at a large Mgt Co AGM?

Can you link me, please?

Have there been DPC rulings?
How does this affect the ordinary members right to view the books of accounts of the management company?
I would not expect a list of names beside account balances. But my understanding is that you can view the books of accounts, that should show the balances of each unit.
I also understand that there is a register of members kept by the company secretary, and this is also available to each member to view. I don't know if this would list the unit beside the members name.

Interesting point by markpb on whether each company member is a third party or not.

If you do call the DPC on this, would you ask how passing on private details of members in arrears to debt collection companies might be seen under the Data Protection acts.

[broken link removed]

link to DPC which should answer above queries. I think there are some case studies as well but can't find them.

If I understand the issue correctly you are concerned that the owners handed the red pieces of paper on the way in instead of the green ones will be obvious to the others as not being up-to-date with their management charges, but the directors need to know which votes to count and which to bin.

Why not pre-print all ballot papers with numbers on and then only count the ballot papers with the numbers corresponding to up-to-date units? You could make it easier but still discrete by giving all even numbers to the votes to be counted and odd numbers to the ones to be binned.

[broken link removed]

link to DPC which should answer above queries. I think there are some case studies as well but can't find them.

Thanks for those posts lantus, especially the response you got from the DPC's office.

Just to play devils advocate; while the reply does seem very against the use of the bits of paper for voting, I am still a little confused by it on the DPCs opinion on whether members have the right to know who has paid or not. Looking on that link you posted to the DPC website, if says that such info is ok to disclose to members as long as it is in the Memo of Assoc of the company as a condition of membership, and also in their reply you quoted they said that the members need to be informed what will happen to their data.
So if it's in the Memo of Assoc and/or members are informed maybe it would not fall foul of the data protection acts? I guess any board of directors needs to get legal advice or confirmation from the DPC before doing anything.

I remember hearing about this group [broken link removed] who might be able to provide some practical advice/experience on the topic

If I understand the issue correctly you are concerned that the owners handed the red pieces of paper on the way in instead of the green ones will be obvious to the others as not being up-to-date with their management charges, but the directors need to know which votes to count and which to bin.

Why not pre-print all ballot papers with numbers on and then only count the ballot papers with the numbers corresponding to up-to-date units? You could make it easier but still discrete by giving all even numbers to the votes to be counted and odd numbers to the ones to be binned.

It would be just wrong to allow people to vote and then bin the votes. Whatever system is put in place should do the validation when issuing the voting papers, not after voting.

I think if you make it clear to all at the start of the meeting that only paid-up members' votes will be counted then it would be fair enough.

Back