About to make a bid... but how much?

Drakon

Did a second viewing on a property during the week, and we intend to put in a bid in the next couple of weeks. It's in rural Munster, therefore the market probably hasn't bottomed out yet, but is possibly close to the bottom.
From the research we've been doing, it's fair to say that the available properties are:
Celtic Tiger era housing estate houses, turnkey - 40%
Standard Irish bungalow 70/80/90ies, need some modernisation - 40%
Standard Irish two storey 70/80/90ies, need some modernisation - 5%
Derelict - 10%
Other - 5%
I spoke to a local EA, known to my family and he said (an opinion I had in my head before he spoke):
"There are plenty of houses around, but very few good houses".
So, the house we're looking at falls into the 5% from above. It's less than 10 years old, is a bit different, and it is turnkey.
The quoted price is POA!
When I phoned about two months ago I was told the asking price is "€285k, she'd probably sell for €250k, €240k".
My wife has contact with him since we've showed interest. Whether he realises that I am the same guy or not, who knows?.
So when I asked the price on Thursday, he said "she's looking for €300k, but this is negotiable. There is no other interest in house at present".

Like I mentioned, there are plenty of other houses around the area, so in that sense it should be easy to walk away. However, "good" houses are scarce, making it harder to walk away. Here are my (admittedly very basic) price valuations:
  • Based on properties of similar type, size and bedroom (not an easy task), most others are asking about €215k. They are a lot smaller though.
  • Using the SCSI website I estimate the reinstatement costs would be over €400k.
  • From property price register it's hard to compare. If I'd a gun to my head, I'd average the price of the five houses in excess of €200k that were sold in since Jan 2013: €235.
  • Based on the size of house I have a planning application in for (but won't be proceeding with), €245k
Obviously, I'm expected to go low, but don't what to go insulting low.
I'm considering an opening bid of €222,500.
Do any recent sellers/buyers outside of Dublin have opinions?

There's nothing insulting in a low bid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the very least you'll know where you stand fairly quickley.
We bought last year, Cork City. Original asking price was 275k. Our first offer was 205k. Were we insulted - not in the slightest. Was the owner annoyed - not at all. But it made both parties aware that there was room for negoitation.
We didn't pay no where near 275k in the end. Other houses in the area have since sold above the asking the price but this is the city so ma be different circumstances for youself. Don't be insulted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the seller want to sell or can she hold out in the long term....that too has a huge factor in rural house market as obviously quicker the sale needed the lower she will consider.

test the waters by offering a low bid and feel your way around from there.

That first offer sounds okay to me.
Have a walkaway figure stuck to your fridge. Read this as well if you haven't already: when I wrote this the market was very stale, but sounds like that is the case in your area.
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=123191

If you are dealing with an estate agent they will try to nudge you to a round figure. When I was bidding on a house last year I was told 'we only deal in units of 1k'). So I had to eat that bit of my hat.
It will depend on the working style of the estate agent also. Some of them seem to like 3-phone calls a day, others like the 'don't return their call and make them sweat for a week' before I get back to them approach. Get used to feeling 'Dangled' and struggling with uncomfortable feelings. best of luck with it.

Yeah, I'd read your piece. It's good, thanks, but I would have a couple of questions.
You've kinda answered one of them here:
'we only deal in units of 1k'
I think 1k and 500 are probably the smallest units. You're entering Alan Partridge territory with the 850 in your example.
One thing you said leaps out of the page, though:
Never increase your offer in the first phone call.
Are you suggesting that offers and/or negotiations are conducted over the phone? Surely email or snailmail?
Was in contact with EA this morning to get the BER done. About 5% of the properties I've viewed online have the BER advertised.

Back